Epilogue

Polly's (POV)

My eyes stare down at the cold, wood floor. Shoulders slouched in defeat, my fingers continuously tracing the delicate designs that are engraved on the wood beads from his necklace.

I'm currently sitting in a uncomfortable chair inside a room at the sheriffs office.

My clothes are now clean and a warm blanket sits comfortably around my shoulders.

By all means I should be happy Mack and I finally got ourselves untied, then traveled the last hour safely to town.

But I'm not.

I glance up, looking at the clock that's ticking away on the office wall.

12:47 A.M.

That's how long it took us to; escape the house, crash the truck, run for our lives through a cornfield, get attacked by a sicko, untie ourselves, get to the towns sheriff office, tell our story, change into clean clothes and have a warm drink.

I yawn, exhaustion settling on me like the blanket across my shoulders.

And now we've been stuck in this dingy little office ever since telling sheriff Taylor about what's happened.

About Alex being kidnapped.

My heart fills with more dread.

I hear a sigh from over beside me, and I look over.

Mack's slouching in his chair that's positioned beside mine, his face the perfect picture of sadness.

I blow a piece of hair out of my face, bringing a hand up to move it when that doesn't work.

I grimace, feeling some mud mixed in with my hair. We might have clean clothes now, but we're still dirty as all get out.

There's a sudden commotion from outside the closed door, my head turning to face it.

The door opens and my mother comes rushing through the door.

I can't help but smile at the sight of her, a small amount of pressure releasing from inside me.

"Polly!" Mom says, relief evident in her voice.

I quickly stand up, meeting her halfway for a hug.

"Mom." I choke out onto her shoulder, my throat suddenly becoming tight with emotion, tears once again filling my eyes.

You don't realize how much you miss someone until you go through a experience like I just did.

I hold her tightly, the urge to never let go consuming me.

I hear footsteps, then another pair of warm arms wrap around me from behind. I glance over, another smile lighting up my face.

Dad.

"Lollipop." I hear dads comforting voice say my old nickname.

I scowl.

'Don't call me that." I weakly argue, my hand playfully smacking him on the arm.

He just chuckles, enveloping both me and mom up in a bear hug. Mom pulls away first, concern clear in her eyes as she looks me over.

She takes my chin, angling it to the side.

"Are you okay? Anything broken? Bruised?" She rambles off. "I was so worried!" She takes her hand away from me, placing it at her cheek. "I tried calling. Then when we couldn't get any answer, we drove up there....And..." Her eyes widen. "And it was a mess! Jack and Bill unconscious, a couple of the dogs shot! Then we still couldn't find you and I though the wor-"