~Chapter Five~

Alex's (POV)

         We'd gotten back from town around 3:30 P.M. And as soon as we'd pulled into the parking spot in front of the house, Lucy had immediately announced that she wanted to make apple pie.

          So that's how I find myself outside at Lucy's apple trees.

         After Lucy and I have a decent sized bag full of large red apples, she leads us back inside the house. Then she sits me down at the counter, handing me a small knife as she begins to peel a apple.

           I look down at the knife in my hand, a sick feeling washing throughout me at just the sight. I take a deep breath, trying to loosen the unexplained tension that's building inside me.

Knowing Lucy's watching me, I hesitantly bring the knife up to the apple I'm holding, carefully peeling it.

Lucy begins to talk about completely random things, almost as if she knew I needed something to help me keep my mind off things. And sure enough, I soon find myself blocking off any unwanted thoughts as I listen to her. The tension fading away.

           Once I finish peeling my last apple, I accidentally drop the knife with a resounding CLANG onto the countertop.

Lucy's stopped talking, staring over at me while I wipe my hands relentlessly on a paper towel.

           It's just a kitchen knife Alex. Nothing more.

         I force myself to stop wiping my now shaking hands, immediately tucking them in my pockets. Looking down, I ignore Lucy's stare.

So much for the unwanted thoughts leaving.

         Lucy gets up as she finishes the last apple, cleaning our sticky mess up we made from peeling before she brings more cooking utensils over.

          "Here Alex, would you mix the ingredients together?" She asks, setting a bowl down in front of me.

           I look up on the countertop, finding a cookbook open to a page about apple pie. Trying my best, I measure out the correct ingredients as Lucy hands them to me, placing them down inside the bowl.

When I finish with the last ingredient, I place my hands back down on my lap, my eyes going up to meet Lucy's.

         "Great job!" She exclaims, a large smile on her face. "I'll make a cook out of you yet." She laughs, wiping her floury hands on her apron.

         Next I help her knead the dough, placing it into a pie shaped pan when we finish. Then she pours the apple chunks into it, laying strips of dough on top.

         As I watch Lucy place it inside the oven, an odd feeling I haven't felt in a long while washes over me.

I actually feel like I did something.

Which I guess I did.

       Lucy turns back around after placing the pie in the oven, facing me.

         "Why don't you go hang out in the living room for awhile? I'll call you for supper at five-thirty." She suggests.

I nod, sliding off the stool I'd been sitting on.

            I exit the kitchen, walking into the living room. Sitting down, I find myself thinking about the Browns.

             Lucy is nice, her childlike excitement only adding to her gentle charm. I've also found that I'm not nearly as nervous around her as I usually am with new people, her soft voice easily distracting me from those unwanted thoughts.