~Chapter Twenty-Three~

Alex's (POV)

"Anything to get you back." Polly finishes, fear in her eyes.

We just stand there, each of us lost in thought.

I shouldn't of done that.

The same words keep repeating over, and over in my head. Echoing in my ears, like a delicate whisper.

I feel myself start to get worked up.

My breathing turns slightly labored, hands still shaking. Mouth dry, sweat falling down the back of my neck.

I-I shouldn't of done that.

I'm broken from my thoughts as Mack speaks up. "Well, it's only three o'clock, which means we still have awhile until the Browns pick us up." He shrugs, his dread being replaced with determination.

"But this shouldn't stop us from having fun." He looks over at Polly who has a thoughtful look on her face.

"He won't attempt to do anything with all these people around. So we'll be fine." He squares his shoulders.

"Alright, lets do this." Polly agrees, her old self coming back.

She gives us a slightly hesitant smile, then starts heading back out towards the crowd.

Mack leans in close to me, eyebrows scrunching up in concern. "Alex, are you okay?" He questions.

I glance over towards Polly, checking to see if she's far enough away.

Seeing that she is indeed a good distance away, I take a deep breath.

Bending over, I place my shaking hands on my knees, taking some deep shuddering breaths as I try to control the tightness in my chest.

"Give m-me a second." I gasp out.

I squeeze my eyes shut, the panic not disappearing like I had hoped. My lungs feeling like someone's squeezing them as hard a possible.

Stupid panic attacks.

It takes everything in me not to flinch as I feel someone lightly touch my arm. Opening my eyes back up, I see it's Mack.

"Do you want me to ask the Browns to come pick us up?" He starts patting his pockets in search of his phone.

I shake my head.

No, I'll be fine.

Probably.

Taking one last big breath, I straightened up. Ignoring the sudden assault of dizziness that hits me, I give Mack a nod to lead on. He gives me a uncertain glance, but starts walking anyways.

I follow behind him, slouching a bit as I find it still painful to breath properly.

Thankfully, by the time we find Polly I just have a slight tremble in my hands. Taking care of that by stuffing them deep inside my pockets.

She's holding a cotton-candy stick - half of it already eaten, watching intently as someone uses a large hammer to pitch a tent.

Mack stops beside her, glancing over at the person with the hammer. "You know this isn't part of the entertainment, right?" He questions, looking back at her. "It's just someone putting a tent up." He states.