~Chapter Fourteen~

Don's (POV)

          "Everyone, this is Alex Rider." I introduce.

            Bill honestly looks like he could care less, and Ben of course is excited as ever.

           That's just their personalities.

           "Just Ben." He reaches out for a handshake, and for a second I don't think Alex will return the gesture.

           Alex hesitates for a moment, but miraculously reaches out for a quick handshake before immediately stuffing his hands back in his pockets.

          Bill just gives a stiff nod, Alex returns one.

          Well, this is going better than I thought it would. I'll admit I was actually a little nervous about introducing Alex to them, but it had to be done.

           After all, he is a part of this family now.

           "Alex Rider." I look over at Ben as I hear his voice. "That's an awesome name!" He suddenly gets that look in his eyes when he thinks of something. "Sounds like a superhero, or even some sort of spy's name." He continues.

            You do have to admit that he does have a pretty cool name.

           I glance over at Alex, who to my surprise is staring wide eyed over at Ben. Quickly, as if realizing he shouldn't have done that, he reverts his face back to its usual emotionless facade, looking down at the grown.

        What was all that about?

       Getting back to business, I ask about the one person who's missing from this group.

      "Where's Jack?"

        Ben shifts his feet uneasily around. "He had things to do."

         I raise a brow.

         They must have left him to do something by himself, as in they deserted him. Great, now Jack won't be in a good mood.

          "Left him to gather the dogs up." Bill grumbles.

           I'm sure that was only the half of it.

           These two are always leaving things for Jack to do by himself, finding excuses to get away. And he's older than both their ages combined.

             But in the end they all get along okay, they just like picking on each other. Yup, I couldn't ask for better farmhands.

            "Ah, there he is!" I cringe as Ben practically shouts in my ear.

             Looking down the driveway, I make out the familiar blue truck.

            "Oh, hey Mack!" Ben slaps Mack on his back.

            "Ow! take it easy man, you trying to break my back?" Mack grumbles, a smile showing up on his face despite his anger.

             Rolling my eyes, I watch as Jack gets out of the now parked truck.

             I look over at Alex, only to frown once I take him in.

             Instantly I know something's wrong.

            Alex appears frozen in place, his hands that are stuffed in his pockets noticeably shaking as his eyes stay transfixed on Jack and the dogs.

            They start walking towards us.

           Alex suddenly unfreezes, eyes widening. He glances discreetly around before taking a couple steps so he's positioned behind me.