~Chapter Nineteen~

Alex's (POV)

Leaning my head against the window, I look outside at the pitch black scenery.

After Don, and Lucy had helped Mack into the Backseat of the truck, we all had piled in. And now we're heading towards town to see the doctor.....again.

Lucy's sitting in the back, comforting Mack.

Like when she comforted me.

Don's driving, me sitting passenger.

I grimace, my right shoulder bumping into the door as Don hits a pothole. I hear Mack groan in the back.

It seems now that he's out from underneath the ATV he's in a lot more pain. Last time I checked he had sweat rolling down his forehead, eyes clinched shut.

He definitely has a broken leg.

From the wheel coming off the ATV.

I frown. I've tried to keep these thoughts from invading my head, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon.

Someone purposely loosened the wheel on the ATV. There's no denying that anymore.

And of course Don, and Mack won't bother with thinking about that possibility.

Why would they? They don't have a reason to.

But why?

Who?

My mind flashes back to dinner.

Mr. March staring at me with that hate filled expression. Disappearing ten minutes before Mack and I left.

It can't be him.

We've never met before. Why would he try to injure me, or even possibly....kill me?

Unless....

My breath hitches.

It can't be.

He can't know about my....past....?

Mrs. Jones did background checks on everyone here at the farm. She would've known if anyone here would recognize me.

She wouldn't of let me come if what I'm thinking is a possibility.

Then again, background checks aren't exactly one-hundred percent accurate these days.

Have I met him before?

I think back to my past.......my missions.

His face doesn't ring a bell, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know me.

Noticing my breathing is picking up speed, I put those thoughts away.

Time for those when I'm alone.

Coming back to the present, I notice we're in town. The darkness turning lighter as the artificial lights of the town brightens it.

"We're almost there." Don assures, about to turn into the parking lot.

Mack groans in reply.

In Don's haste, he accidentally takes the left turn into the parking lot too sharp. The trucks front right wheel, running over the sidewalk.

I quietly gasp, feeling like someone dropped a hot iron on my shoulder as I'm jerked into the door. Wincing, I glance over at Don to see if he heard me.