~Chapter Twenty-Two~

Alex's (POV)

          I'm currently sitting in the back seat of the truck, on our way towards the fair grounds.

          We'd left after lunch around twelve thirty, just like Don had said.

          I sigh, leaning my head against the window with heavy eyes.

          I - as usual, didn't get much sleep last night. My mind deciding to replay the same nightmare from the other day.....The nightmare where Tom dies.

         I feel a shudder run through me.

         Don't think about it.

         Trying to distract myself, I look out the window. We're in town now, making our way over to where we saw the fireworks that....not-so-good day.

          Fireworks.

        Hopefully they aren't going to have any today.....because we all know that will not end well.

        Though Lucy did reassure me before we left that they were not having any. Or-else we would leave before dark.

        Lucy.

        My heart jumps.

        Apparently she and Don are just dropping me and Mack off. Apparently having some unknown business to attend to.

        And I hate to say this.

        But I'd rather they didn't leave us alone.

        For some-reason I've had this feeling ever since I woke up this morning that something's going to go wrong.

       But then again, isn't that the story of my life.

       I suddenly notice we're in the large parking lot, the gravel area about halfway filled up with cars. People rush around, excitement etched across their faces.

        Don parks.

        Lucy turns in her seat, facing me and Mack.

        "Alright, here's some money." She hands Mack a couple bills. "Stay together, and have fun." She instructs with a smile.

         She looks directly at me. "Alex, will you be okay?" She questions.

          I look around outside. Crowds of people, a couple dogs....though they are on leashes.

         Oh yeah, I'll be just dandy.

         I look back over at her. "Yes." I straight out lie.

         But I'm determined to do this. I'll never get any better if I just isolate myself from everyone and everything.....Not that I think I'll ever fully be better.

        It's worth a shot I suppose.

         "We'll be back by five. Then we'll go get some supper." She explains, looking between both me and Mack.

         We both nod.

         "See ya." Mack gives them a wave while opening his door, getting his crutches situated.

         I take a deep breath, trying to relax the sudden tightness in my lungs.

        Opening my door, I walk around to the other side to meet Mack. He looks over at me, a smile lighting up his face.