~Chapter Thirty-Three~

Alex's (POV)

The world goes in slow-motion.

The glass still dropping lightly to the floor, pieces of play-money from the board game floating slowly in the air.

Mack and Polly ducking down to the ground. Their eyes wide with fear, confusion, and disbelief.

Slow.

My heart thuds dully in my chest, no sound present.

Panic the only thing on my mind right now.

Not again!

No.

        No escape

No!

I tightly close my eyes.

There's nothing I can do now. Completely hopeless.

A cold fist closes over my heart.

I failed.....

Again.

They're-They're going to....die.....because of me. Because I wasn't strong enough to warn them.

My fault.

Everything's my fault.

My chest tightens unbearably.

I'm going to lose another family again. But maybe I was never meant to have a family. Cursed to live alone my whole life.

I fist my hands in my hair, squeezing tightly.

Give up

Nothing you can do

Useless

Failure

I squeeze my eyes tighter. The words Razim engraved in my mind all those weeks, repeating throughout my head.

Burden

Piece of trash

No good

A whimper escapes my tight throat.

Give up

Nothing you can do.....

No!

I shake my head. I have to at least try.

They can't die.

They don't deserve it!

My mind flashes back to all the times this past month that Polly and Mack have helped me, been my friend, and just been there when I needed someone to be.

And the Browns.

I take a breath, my chest warming at the thought of them.

They're more than I could of ever hoped for.

I can't just....give up!

No.

My eyes snap open, everything around me suddenly resuming at normal speed.

The glass from the window settles on the floor, the game pieces lazily scattering  across the room.

Polly and Mack huddled on the ground. Panic clearly written all over them.