♧Chapter 19

AN

Sooo Merry Christmas! Think of this chapter as a Christmas present from me to you. Anyways, sorry for the super long wait, but I'm not going to release the next chapter until I get six more votes on this stories, so that'll be like 62 votes all together on this story, right now I have 56! I'm really tired right now, so sorry for the crappy editing job; I'll probably do another edit tomorrow after opening my presents! Thanks for reading- Sam

Time slowed down, and my world shrank down to Henry and the hand poised to plunge into his chest. Somehow I knew if that black fire even touched him he was going to be gone, gone forever.

"Stoooooop!" I shouted. I wrenched my hand free of Amber's grasp and went barreling towards the fight. The boy attacking Henry froze, and turned his head to look at me. He looked familiar, but that was the least of my concerns.

"Get off of him!" I yelled.

The boy was knocked off Henry by some invisible force and flung backward across the room. That's when time sped back up to regular speed. I reached Henry, and I held out my hand to help him up, but in typical Henry fashion, he refused it and got up by himself.

"What are you doing? I told you to get out of here!" he growled. He gritted his teeth together and pointed to where Amber still stood; pale and looking a little shell shocked. "You're getting in the way!"

"Good I'm glad I'm getting in the way, this fight is obviously hopeless, and we need to leave now!" I said, at this point, I could feel myself growing frantic.

"I'm not going anywhere, but you're going to leave!" Henry said and pointed towards Amber again.

I shook my head at him. Really? Did he expect me to leave him to die?  "I just don't want anyone to die because of me, that's all and I know if I refuse to leave, so you'll have to come with me, or I stay."

The look on Henry's face was one of shock at my words, but it soon turned serious, " I'm buying time for you to get out of here! You need to go now!" he ordered and gestured for me to leave, but I kept my feet firmly planted in place and shook my head.

"You come, or I stay," I repeated, even though I was terrified and really did want to run away, "You are a jerk to me 95% of the time, but I feel like you are one of the only people with power who don't want me dead. I need you!"

In the meantime, the boy had gotten up and had begun taking wobbly steps in our direction. There was an ominous black mist forming around his body.

I turned my face away from Henry to stare at the approaching threat. "You either come with me, or I'm going to stay here, I'm not leaving you," I repeated more urgently and pointed to the boy. I squinted my eyes while the boy's body shimmered and began changing shape and grew in size. The boy started taking on more reptilian features. I moved closer to Henry, and I felt his hand go around my waist protectively.

Most of the students had cleared out of the cafeteria at this point, but a few still hadn't managed to evacuate. The ones who did remain were thrown into a complete panic, and all tried to rush the exit all at once. I wouldn't be surprised if someone ended up being trampled to death.

"Henry," I whispered. "We really need to get it out of here; it's obvious that it's after me, he called out my name, so I'll be bait. We're putting all these students in danger by staying!"

"That's exactly why you should leave right now!" Henry said, his voice full of frustration. "But," he relented, "not without me, right?" he said, and the entire time he spoke his eyes didn't leave the approaching figure cloaked in black mist. It now looked more like a giant lizard each second that past.