Chapter 11

The day of Test #1
Emma's POV

That Saturday it started out perfectly normal.

Well, as normal as a Saturday where I had to take a huge test could start.

So... not so normal.

I woke up and got ready, rushing downstairs to eat some food before my stomach could tie itself into knots.

When my mom came downstairs to drive me to the high school that the tests were going to be at all of my knuckles had been successfully popped, my hair had no knots in it and I felt like I was going to puke.

My mom packed me into the car anyway and when we arrived at the high school that we would be taking the test at I got out of the car and forced a smile at my mom who smiled and waved happily at me. As I walked into the building I was following and was followed by a large stream of other middle school students all looking as confused as I felt inside. We all made our way into the building and then through the commons towards a bunch of tables set up.

Everyone split into the line that their last name correlated with, I jumped into the A-J line and waited--my stomach tying itself tighter into its knot-- until I reached the front of the line.

"Name?" The woman who was sitting at the table asked.

"Emma Gordon," I said swallowing yet another painfully nervous swallow.

"Okay," the woman said, grabbing a piece of paper and handing it to me. "Here's your information and your testing room."

I thanked her and looked down at the paper as I walked away from the table. I was in room 526. I looked up to try and find the 500s hallway and spotted in up stairs so I stomped up the stairs and I went into the hallway to try and find the room I was supposed to be taking my test in.

When I finally found the room I walked in and tried to find my name on a desk. As I found and sat down at my desk other students began streaming into the room. Some I recognized from school but a lot of them were students whom I had never seen before. As the time got closer and closer to eight o'clock, all the desks in the room filled and the teacher who would monitor the testing walked in.

When the bell rang to signify the beginning of the test the teacher began passing out test with our names on them.

"All right, students," she said with a smile, "My name is Mrs. Williams, I'll just be hanging out as you guys fill out the test forms, if you have any questions you can ask me." She then gave a pointed look at a group of students in the back who all seemed to know each other as she added, "And you don't have to be worried about someone copying off of you because every test is different. It's based off of the past things you've done. Your grades, the form you filled out at the beginning of this competition, comments from your teachers, mentors and the like."

I got my test packet and followed the path that had helped me out before and skimmed through the entire packet to see if there was anything helpful.

There wasn't.

I released a sigh as I opened the packet to the first page again and settled in to complete the test.

----

Three hours of testing later I felt like I was a high school student who had just finished the ACT without studying for it or having skipped going to school for two years.

I followed the other bleary eyed and mushed-up brained kids out into the sun-- had it always been this bright? I found my mom and slid into the car with a dejected sigh.

"How'd it go?" She asked curiously, giving me a perfect motherly smile.

"Eh," was all I could muster.

She gave a small chuckle and drove away from the high school saying some random words of encouragement, "you did great," "it's just a game, it's okay if you didn't do amazing, it was hard stuff," "you did the best you could," etc.

When we got home and had some lunch I went upstairs to my room, I guess I would just have to wait for the results and if I was lucky enough to make it into the next round.