Chapter 47

((I'm writing this at work so ahhhh sorry about mistakes :') ))

Emma's POV

"Oh my God!" Alison yelled, jumping up and running towards the commotion. There was a small crowd gathering around the scuffle. Even though I was scared and confused I was slightly impressed that Landon was still putting up a fight against the three men trying to pin him on the floor.

I followed Alison and saw that a few others from our group had showed up too. I scanned the room looking for Forest. I almost missed him, he was standing in a corner holding his hands on his head staring at his friend.

"What is going on?" I heard Alison asking the small crowd, trying to push her way to the front. Between the legs of the people, I could see that Landon had finally been subdued.

"Back up, back up!" A gruff voice was yelling and the crowd unwillingly shuffled away from the men pinning Landon to the floor, locking his hands into cuffs behind his back. "Please go back to your activities, this is all taken care of."

Landon muttered something but I was too far away to hear it. It must have been bad because one older woman gasped horrified and the man that had started to pull him up shoved him back against the floor.

I glanced at Forest again, but he had disappeared.

Or so I thought.

Turning back towards the commotion I noticed a familiar figure slipping through one of the side doors with a small glance back.

Our eyes met and I knew that I had to follow him.

I walked quickly to keep up with him, he was walking fast, like he was trying to escape something without drawing too much attention to himself. He seemed to be weaving through the hotel's hallways without knowing where he was going. I was about to call out to him and try to get some answers to the millions of questions bouncing around my head when Forest stopped abruptly. Something told me to stop, to not go to him, so I ducked into a side hallway, peeking out around the corner to see just a part of Forest's profile.

Then I heard a female voice.

"Like the show?"

Forest jumped as a pretty brunette walked out of a room, walking towards him. I couldn't see her face and barely had a view of his but I could sense the animosity from a mile away.

"Have anything to say, Forest, dear?" The girl asked. She had to be just a few years older than me, who was she?

"Why are you here?" The calm and soft voice I had come to associate with Forest had gone. It was replaced with a cold tone that was more in line with a stereotypical billionaire.

"I could ask the same of you," the girl drawled, "I could also ask why you associate with such violent people like the poor boy back in the other room."

"You need to leave, now," Forest said.

"Or what?" The girl asked with mock fear, "You'll have someone throw me out? You'll have the staff ban me? You'll try to ruin my name?" There was a low chuckle. "I'd like to see you try, Johnston."

Forest was quiet. The little I could see of his face was all hard lines and anger. I had never seen him like that.

"Not such a big boy without daddy dearest backing you up, hmm?"

"Don't."

"Or your poor mother straightening your jacket--"

"Stop!"

"No." The girl's voice had become just as demanding as Forest's had been just a moment before. "You don't get to avoid pain, Johnston. And you better get used to it, because it will be your friend for the rest of your life."

"You need to go now," Forest's jaw was clenched.

"You can't get rid of me that easily, dear," the girl's tone had shifted to something bordering on seduction. But there was a hint of a dagger poised to stab her victim in the back. I shuddered at the thought.

"If you have something on me, release it," Forest said, straightening even more than he already was, "If you don't, then stop wasting my time, dear."

I could hear the sneer in her voice, "Oh I do have something, I hope you've got more than bravado in that little head of yours." Then she brushed past him, walking down the hallway away, leaving Forest standing in the middle of the hallway staring at the wall.

I pulled back and leaned against the wall I was hiding behind, my breathing was coming fast. There were even more questions in my head now. Were the men who were manhandling Landon her goons? Who was she? How did she know Forest? And why did she call him dear?

The last question surprised me, why did I care what anyone else called him? It wasn't like I wanted to call him anything besides 'Forest'...

Right?

I took a step forward, planning on returning to the room where I had left Alison and the others, but I barely made it a step when I tripped over thin air and landed on the ground with a loud thump.

Oh no.

-

-

A/N

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment, what do you think is going to happen next????

In other news, I'm starting to plan out the sequel to this book, and would love ideas of scenes that you'd like to see. I can tell you that there will be some earlier characters making appearances again and a time jump! But that's all I'm giving you because spoilersssss

love you all!!

em