Chapter 24

Forest's POV

Today has been the first day that I have ever been able to rest. Fully and utterly just sit and rest.

There were no letters to answer, no interviews to go to, no governments knocking down my door—just rest.

I sat in my study, the doors to the balcony open wide. My three dogs lay at my feet as I relaxed in my arm chair that faced the glass doors, my sprawling estate visible over the handrail of the balcony.

A soft knock sounded at my door and I grunted in assent to open it. The hinges didn't creak, the sound of foot steps was the only indication that someone was in fact in the room with me.

The dogs' tails thumped on the floor as Chris ignored me and went to give them each a rub on the head.

"Hello, Magnus," he said to the greyhound, "and why hello, Quinn," he said to the corgi, "and how could I forget to say hello to you, Three?" He asked plopping a kiss as well as a rub on the massive St. Bernard's head. Three just drooled in response.

Chris then turned and gave me a grin.

"We did it." I said, closing my eyes as Quinn got up to climb onto the chair with me. I placed a hand on her head as Chris chuckled.

"We've basically done it," he corrected but I held up a finger and went, "uh uh uh, we did it, please don't ruin it for me."

Chris just laughed, "whatever you say, hotshot."

We had sent out the letters to all of the finalists, the winners receiving one letter and the other participants recovering a different one. We would then receive the contact information for the winners and would shortly send out the information for the plans for the upcoming summer.

Since this was the first summer there would be classes to attend, places to visit and the other winners to meet. Chris and I would be a part of it but we would also be organizing for the next contest and the trips with the winners. Since this was a multiple year plan Chris and I would be seeing a lot of the Kansas winners. Because of this I had started memorizing their names along with the yearbook pictures we had of them.

I didn't know how well everything would go this year but I hoped that these students would all have good heads on their shoulders and would all get along with each other. They would be the face of my organization and I hoped that all the months of craziness would pay off.

But there would be other times to worry about that—right now, I could rest.

So I rubbed Quinn's head and just grinned at Chris.