Hogwarts (Age 11)

"Sirius!!" Lauren yelled, running down the hall. "It came!" she screamed. "It came!" Sirius stepped out of the dining room and braced himself as Lauren ran into him and thrust a letter at him. 

"What came?" he asked. 

"My Hogwarts letter!" she shrieked, bouncing up and down. Sirius blinked and skimmed the letter. Sure enough it read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY 

Dear Ms. Black,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31. 

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress 

"Great Merlin," he muttered. "Are you really eleven already," he looked up and saw Lauren still bouncing, her lightning eyes bright enough to start a forest fire. "Well," he said, putting a hand on her shoulder so she would stop jumping, "I guess we have a lot of shopping to do tomorrow." Lauren grinned. 

"Yes!" she shouted and ran upstairs to her room. Sirius shook his head.

The next day...

"Okay..." Lauren said as she looked at the list of supplies. "All I need now is... A wand," she glanced at Sirius. It was a very exciting day for Lauren. Although she had lived in the Wizarding world her whole life, she had never been to Diagon Alley before, so she didn't know where to go. 

"Oh, that's an easy one," Sirius said, pointing at a store further down. "Everyone gets their wands from Ollivanders."  As they entered the store, an old man popped up from behind the counter. His face lit up as Lauren walked closer. 

"My, my, my," he said, looking at Lauren."You must be Anna Smithly's daughter." Lauren blinked in surprise. No one knew her mother and even less people could recognize her features in Lauren's face. "I remember when she came for her wand," Ollivander continued, "Willow, 13 inches, hippogriff feather core," he recited. "Let's see what your wand will be," he offered,  eyeing Lauren carefully. She stared right back at him. Then he walked to the back and came back with a box. 

"11 inches, Hawthorne, unicorn tail core. Give it wave," he said, handing the wand to Lauren. She took it and looked expectantly at Sirius. She waved the wand, and all hell broke loose. The windows in the shop shattered and some strange force threw Lauren out the door and into the street. As she picked herself up and shook the glass off her clothes, she saw people staring at her, among them were the Weasleys, Fred and George struggling not to laugh. Inside what remained of  Ollivanders, Sirius had the same problem. Lauren set her jaw, nodded to the staring crowd, and walked back into the store. With a wave of his wand, Ollivander repaired the store and the crowd outside went back to their shopping. 

"Okay," Ollivander insisted. "Definitely not that one," he took the wand back and thought to himself. Then he came back with a different box. 

"11 inches, reed, hippogriff feather core, try not to blow up my shop this time," he said as he handed her the wand. As soon as she touched it, Lauren knew this was her wand. It was warm, and not from Ollivander's hand. It gave her a feeling of power and comfort that she had never felt before. She grinned. "I thought so," Ollivander said, nodding at her "That's your wand, but in case you are interested to know," he added, "the core of your wand, the hippogriff feather, came from the very same one that was in your mother's wand." Sirius blinked in surprise, but Lauren only nodded, staring fondly at the wand. 

That's what it was, she realized. It was that this wand was connected to her mother in a way, that's what made it feel so comforting. It was like a piece of her mother she could still have. Lauren smiled.

September 1....

"Are you SURE that you'll be alright by yourself?" Lauren asked Sirius. They were in Sirius's house and Lauren was supposed to be leaving for platform 9 and 3/4 with Remus, but she was reluctant to leave Sirius. He smiled at her.

"For the fourth time, yes, I'll be fine," he said putting his hands on her shoulders. She looked at him, uncertain if she should believe him. 

"Are you SURE?" she repeated. Sirius laughed.

 "You sound like an overprotective parent," he said to her. 

"I am an overprotective parent," she replied plainly, "If I'm not here then who is going to take care of you, and save you from nightmares and make you hot chocolate, and-" Sirius cut her off  

"I will be just fine," he insisted, grabbing her hands. "I have Harold for my nightmares, and it may be shocking for you to hear this, but I can take care of myself," she looked at him skeptically. "I will be fine." he said firmly,"Now why don't you go, get on that train, go to school, make some friends, get into a lot of trouble, and learn as much as you can. Okay?" She hesitated. 

"Alright," she said. "But I'm going to write you every day." Sirius smiled. 

"Alright," he said. "Now off you go,". Lauren nodded and walked down the hall toward Remus, who was waiting at the door. Sirius stood up tall and leaned against the door frame. Just before she reached Remus, Lauren turned around and ran toward Sirius. She wrapped him in a hug and buried her face in his chest. 

"I'm going to miss you," she said, sniffling. Sirius hugged her back and kissed the top of her head. 

"I'm going to miss you too" he said sadly.