Chapter 7

~ Nico ~

This is what I couldn't tell you. I know it sounds stupid but I just can't. I can't exactly explain. But here's what I know.
When I was taken by the woods I hear voices, so many voices. They were calling to me, begging for help but I didn't know what was going on. It was all too much. I bet that's what happened to Charlotte. She was drawn there by her emotions, she probably wanted something. I did too... And about two years ago there was another demigod who went missing, a child of Nemesis. But the difference was they never came back. I don't want that to happen again. I already told Chiron about my theory of the woods. He understands, that's why he asked Harley to start with the labyrinth training thing. I know it seems a lot harder and dangerous but whatever is in the woods is even worse.
A half blood named Shelby Lancaster disappeared just before the battle of the labyrinth. At the time they were close friends with the head counselor of cabin seven.
I don't know why I told you about them, it just felt right. Maybe you can find out something. This probably makes no sense, so put it somewhere safe and read it in a few months.
xo Charlie
ps. try and cheer lego man up

Nico folded the letter back up and stuck it in his pocket, Charlie was right, that had made no sense. He lay back down and continued to stare up at the bunk above him. What had she meant, 'taken by the woods'? The trees wouldn't hurt the camp, they were a part of it. Why would they start injuring innocent demigods? The thoughts spun in Nico's head as he closed his eyes.

It wasn't every night he dreamed of better times, or times that would have been better a few months ago, now both parts of his life had peaks and valleys, both had pain and suffering but still held wonder. But tonight Nico found himself in the underworld, in Persephone's garden, not his favorite place. In front of him sat the goddess herself, with her straight black hair and brown eyes. She studied him vaguely, as if not really interested in what she saw before her.

The goddess of springtime and flowers looked around her, as if looking for something. Then her focus returned to Nico. He knelt, not because he wanted to but because he had to, "My lady." He said cooly, bowing his head.

A small smile appeared on her lips, then it was gone. "Nico di Angelo, son of Hades." She said, her voice was gentle and sweet but still held sadness, "I'm glad you came."

He wanted to laugh, the goddess who hated him the most was glad he came? "This is only a dream." He said calmly.

She nodded, a bit wistfully, "That is true, but you are still here, no?"

Nico nodded, something seemed off.

Persephone gestured to the chair beside her, "Sit."

Nico sat in stony silence.

The goddess smiled at him, but the smile was sad, "I can't tell you much-"

"Of course not." he muttered under his breath, just loud enough for her to hear if she did she ignored it.

"But I can tell you to stay out of the woods, and not just you but the camp. It will be safer for all demigods, all heros. And," she said with a sigh, "I suppose us gods too."

Nico sat still in his chair, "I don't know what you mean."

"No, you don't."

"That doesn't help."

The goddess smiled, "The trees are hurting, the grove is burning, the world is changing one hero at a time."

Nico opened his mouth to ask what she meant when he was woken up by Will.

The son of Apollo sat on the edge of the bed, "You're up."

"Yes." Nico said, rubbing his eyes and sitting up.

Will smiled as he lay down beside Nico, wrapping him in a hug, "You okay?"

Nico gave him a look, "What do you mean by 'okay'? I date you, something is definitely wrong with me."

Will tried to look hurt, but his smile gave the act away, "You're always so mean to me."

"I do try." Nico said, leaning against Will's warm chest.

Will laughed, "I know you do."

He wanted to stay like this forever, in Will's warm embrace, just being stupid with the son of Apollo. He didn't want it to end, he wanted everything to stay the way it was. But it couldn't, because good things come to an end and this was no different.

"Will,"

"Yeah?"

"Do you know a girl named Shelby Lancaster?"

"A person." Will's reply was automatic.

"What?"

"A person named Shelby Lancaster, not a girl. They were nonbinary. Didn't go by male or female pronouns, well sometimes... but not very often."

"So you knew them?" Nico corrected.

Will nodded, "Shelby was cool.

disappeared a few months before the battle of the labyrinth. They were a child of Nemesis, one of those rare demigods whose godly parent actually claimed them before the Titan war. If they hadn't disappeared, they would be in cabin sixteen."

Nico nodded.

"Why do you ask?" Will asked.

Nico stuck his hand in his pocket, he brought out the letter from Charlie. He handed it to Will and watched as he read it.