Chapter 9

~ Will ~

"Do you know a girl named Shelby Lancaster?" Those were words he hadn't expected to hear.

Nico stuck his hand in his pocket, he brought out the letter from Charlie. He handed it to Will and watched as he read it.

Shelby. Shelby Lancaster. He's never expected to hear that name again. He remembered the long night's in the infirmary, helping his older sister, she would laugh and show him what to do. Then, at about eight o'clock Shelby would come in. They would give Will a high five and help out.

Will remembered the night that they'd disappeared. He had ran to them, crying. He explained what he had seen and Shelby had promised it would be alright, "in time." They had said, "Everything will be okay." Then they had walked to the edge of the wood. He'd said goodnight and walked back to his cabin. In the morning Shelby was gone. And know one knew why, not even him.

He focused on his boyfriend's face, "A person." He replied automatically.

"What?"

"A person named Shelby Lancaster, not a girl. They were nonbinary. Didn't go by male or female pronouns, well sometimes... but not very often."

"So you knew them?" Nico corrected.

Will nodded, "Shelby was great, disappeared a few months before the Titan war. They were a child of Nemesis."Shelby was one of those rare demigods whose godly parent actually claimed them before the Titan war."

Nico nodded.

"Why?" Will asked.

The son of Hades pulled out a letter from his pocket, he passed it to Will. Then lay down, soon enough he was snoring gently.

* * *

"Chiron." Will said, knocking on the door.

"Come in."

He opened the door slowly, kind of surprised to find the old centaur still awake. "What is it?"

Will passed him the letter, "You probably know, but I wanted you to see this."

Chiron studied the paper for a few minutes, "I am well aware of our situation in the woods, that's why I've asked Harley to help."

"I don't think it's actually helping anyone."

Chiron's mouth twitched, like he was trying not to smile, "Regardless, thank you for showing me this." He looked out the window thoughtfully, "But, regardless of danger, let's not tell anyone quite yet. We need to understand what we're facing. And there would be no understanding if everyone has fled in terror."

"Agreed."

Chiron smiled, he gave the letter back to Will, "Now go get some sleep hero. We can't understand what we're facing if we're all in need of rest."

Will nodded and headed back to his cabin.

* * *

Nico handed Will the last bandage, "I need to stretch my legs, I'm going to take a break."

"Okay." Will said absently, completely focused on his work, as usual. Nico sighed, "I'll be back in an hour or so."

Will nodded again, "Okay."

Nico sighed again, "If you need me, I'll probably be practicing in the arena. Or training. Not sure."

"Yup."

"Okay, bye."

Will finally looked up at him, "Why are you telling me all this?"

"You usually ask, so I've made it a habit to let you know."

"Oh, okay." Will said as he resumed healing the camper, "See you."

"Yeah," Nico said, he patted Will's head and walked away.

Once his boyfriend had left Will finished wrapping the wound. The boy looked up at him and grinned, "Thanks Will."

Will helped the child stand, "No problem Felix."

The son of Eros waved goodbye as he headed out the door. Will collapsed in a chair, Harley's grand idea about raising the labyrinth would probably be the death of him. He sighed as he got up again, tonight he was going to relax and have fun, he might as well work now.

He stood up and continued to work.

* * * 

He sat beside the newest member of camp half blood. Her complexion was pale and her dark hair was in a long braid down her back. Her eyes were closed, but she was still alive, barely.

Will put two fingers on her wrist and took her pulse. Her heartbeat was steadier now than it had been. Her pulse was getting stronger each second. He looked up at the daughter of Hypnos, "Can you wake her?"

Calynn shrugged, "I can try." She knelt and touched the girl's forehead, at first nothing. Then the girl sat up suddenly. Her eyes were striking, grey like Annabeth's, but they had more blue in them. She looked around, "Where am I?"

Will smiled, "You're safe." He promised.

"No, I'm not. I'm not safe anywhere!" She sat up, "Trust me, they are chasing me, as long as I'm around... You're not safe."

She tried to get out of bed, but Will held her down, "Alright. I believe you."

She looked surprised, "But no one ever does..."

"I do." He said quietly, "Now, I'm going to help keep you safe, Okay?"

She nodded.

"Good, but I need to know your name. I'm Will."

She stared at him for a moment, then spoke in a soft voice, "Esprit."

He smiled, "Spirit. I like that."

Esprit smiled back, "I do too."

* * * 

She looked up at him, "Thanks for showing me around."

"No problem, but I'll need to leave you with Calynn, I have to go look for someone."

She smiled and waved goodbye as he walked away.

Will waved back, then went in search of Nico, he's been looking for the son of Hades throughout Esprit's entire tour of camp, but he hadn't seen him anywhere.

* * *

"I looked everywhere! Where were you?"

Nico sighed, "Will, I told you. In the armoury, or the arena."

"You never said that!" Will said, incredulous.

"Yes I did, you just didn't listen."