Chapter 50

~ Will ~
the next afternoon

He and Nico were sitting outside when they heard the scream.

Will ran in, followed by Nico. He pushed the people around Shelby out of the way and examined the demigod. Physically they looked fine, and other than a fever they where, but they muttered words under their breath and would flinch and thrash randomly. Will looked over at Ayla, "What happened?"

Ayla looked too stunned to reply, she simply say down, right there on the floor and covered her head in her hands. Nico went over to her and gently coaxed her to her feet, he said something to her and she nodded and Nico lead her out of the room. As he left he pulled Kayla aside and told her something, Will's half sister ran off.

Will took a deep breath. This was what you do best, he reminded himself. You're a doctor for a reason, William, you wanted to make a difference, you wanted to save lives. He took a step forward and nelt next to Shelby, "Hey, it's me, Will." He said softly.

For a moment they stoped thrashing and they looked him dead in the eye. Shelby's body calmed and their breathing was normal. "What's wrong?" he asked. In response, Shelby took a deep breath and screamed.

The scream was full of heartbreak and terror, it was full of sorrow and loss. But mostly it was a message, a message to him. He seemed to be the only one who could hear the words Shelby was screaming.

Will stumbled back and the other medics surged forward.

Will just stood there, stunned. He had never been the cause of something like this. He stumbled back. What had happened? Just this morning they were fine. Austin turned to him, "Will. Do something."

Will looked at him helplessly, "I can't."

"What do you mean you can't? Try." Austin pushed Will over to Shelby. When they saw Will the screams stopped, they grabbed his hand, Will sensed how much pain they were in, how much it hurt to be alive. He could feel how much they had been fighting. How much they were struggling to stay alive. How much they wanted to live, but they had been fighting for too long, their mind was sore and they were exhausted.

"It's too much." Shelby muttered. "It's too loud." Will didn't know what they were talking about. "I can't stop them." Shelby murmured. They were fading.

He tried to reach out, to take the pain away. But it didn't work.

"Austin, play something." Will ordered.

"What?"

"Play." Will demanded, "They need something to focus on." He heard his brother pick up the guitar. He strummed a chord and Will saw Shelby relax.

It only lasted for a few minutes, after a while they began to whimper again. Shelby shut their eyes tight and groaned.

Then they opened their eyes and looked at him, "You're out of luck, it's too late." They whispered.

Those words filled him with dread. And he watched as the light in Shelbys brown eyes went out and their spirit was extinguished. Their mussels relaxed, their hand in Wills went limp.

Will felt hollow, one one the bravest, most stubborn people he knew had just given up.

He knew he was the reason Shelby was dead, he hadn't know what to do, he hadn't understood what they needed. He hadn't been able to do what need to be done and there was cost, someone else had died because of him.

He didn't want to be a demigod anymore. He didn't want to watch his friends die. He wanted to have a normal life, normal family, normal friends. No monsters, no dead sisters. Just a normal life.

Just when he needed him, Nico was there. The son of Hades walked in and Will fell into him, he buried his head in Nico's shoulder. He felt a wave of emotions crash over him. "They were so close." He tried his best to hold back tears, knowing that was useless.

"I know." Nico said, holding Will tightly. "I know. And its hard but... You can't save everyone, all heros have an end."

Will wanted to pull away and punch something. "That's exactly why I hate being a hero." He said bitterly, untangling himself from Nico's embrace.

"But, that's why we have each other. Right?" Nico said, as gently as he could.

Will turned to Nico, the fire in his eyes died, "Not necessarily Nico, I could lose you too. Just like I lost Shelby." His voice cracked, "Just like I lost Harper."

Then Nico wrapped his arms around Will and held him tightly, "No matter what happens, I'll always be there for you. You won't loose me. I promise."

and that's the end lads
it's been a long road, sorry about all the deaths and shit but there were some cute solangelo moments so I guess that balances out??
I have another solangelo book in the works... OUT OF LUCK so go check it out when it's out if you want idk I don't want to tell you what to do