Chapter 13

~ Nico ~

He was woken up by Will, the son of Apollo was shaking him, "Nico! Get up."

He rubbed his head, "What?"

"Cecil said that Calynn said that Felix said that Sybil told him to tell Calynn to get the message to you and I that Connor Stoll needs to talk to us about something important."

"What now?"

"I just said that Cecil said that Calynn said that Felix said that Sybil-"

"Will," Nico gently punched him in the arm, "Just tell me what Connor wanted to tell us."

"Cecil didn't tell me, we have to go find Connor."

* * *

"And that's what happened... I'm going to go find her. I'll see you around." The son of Hermes stood up half heartedly, "If you want to find me, I'll probably be in my cabin." Connor gave them a small wave and walked off.

Nico leaned against Will as they sat on a bench, watching some Hermes campers play basket ball. His mind was in a different place. He was lost in a memory, one of a time from about two weeks ago. When he had met the daughter of Zephyrus.

*  *

Calynn had walked up to him, holding the hand of a young girl. Her complexion was pale and her dark hair was in a long braid down her back. She looked nervous as the daughter of Hypnos showed her the place she would soon call home.

The two girls came up to Nico, Calynn smiled, "This is Nico." She looked at him meaningfully, "Say hi, Nico."

He nodded at the child, she looked about twelve years old. "I'm Nico di Angelo. Son of Hades." She stared back at him, "The son of Hades. You're the guy he was talking about."

Nico felt a bit like running away, it wasn't every day that you meet a child who tells you who you are before you introduce yourself. She looked back at him with large grey blue eyes. "The doctor." She said quietly, "You know him?"

"Pardon?"

"The son of Apollo."

Nico nodded uncertainly, glancing at Calynn, "Yes, he's my-"

"I know." She said, cutting him off, "Boyfriend."

Nico nodded, "Um, yeah."

"Esprie," Calynn said, "How do you know that?"

She shrugged, "I just do."

Nico looked down at her, not knowing what to say. "Well... Do you like it here?"

She looked up at him, "Yes. But I can't stay. They will come for me."

"You're safe here."

She shook her head, "No. No I'm not. No where is safe."

*  *

Nico shook his head and leaned against Will, "You sure she'll be alright?" Will looked over at him, "I want to think she'll be fine, but... well... she is a demi god."

Nico nodded, "They saw her go into the woods."

"She told me that she wasn't safe."

Nico put his hand on Will's shoulder, "It's not your fault."

"I promised to protect her."

"Will. Don't beat yourself up about it, it's not your fault."

Will looked up, "Nico! She's gone! I can't just sit here!" He stood quickly.

Nico grabbed his arm and pulled him back, "Will, there is nothing we can do. I'm sorry but that's the truth." He forced Will back down, "We can't go in the woods."

"But that's where she went."

"And it's dangerous!" Nico sat up, "And you aren't going."

"Don't tell me what to do." Will snapped.

"I'm trying to protect you William!"

The son of Apollo stood back up, "And I am trying to protect her!"

"Will! You can't go after her."

"After running away so much you should understand. How many times have you ignored what people told you to do? How many times did you do something that people told you you would regret?"

Nico stood up, "Enough Will. Enough times to know that I should have listened! Enough to know that you're making a mistake right now!"

Will's eyes narrowed, his smile was completely gone. "I'm trying to help someone. How is that making a mistake?"

"Esprie went into the forest. You can't go in there."

"Why? Why, Nico, Why? Because you make all the decisions? Is that it?"

"No, Will, stop it! You're being stupid!"

"No. No, I am not!" And he turned and ran off. Leaving Nico alone.

* * *

He sat on his bed, alone. Staring at the ceiling. It had been so long since he'd had to be alone, it felt unreal. Unnatural. He no longer liked the feeling. The feeling of being alone.

The door opened and Calynn walked in, "Hey Nico, where's Will?"

Nico stiffened, "We aren't exactly... We aren't exactly speaking at the moment."

"Oh." She took a step forward, "May I sit?" Nico nodded.

"So... what happened?"

"He was being an idiot." Nico responded simply.

"He's going through alot right now, ya know."

"He wants to go into the woods, the one place at camp that is currently off limits because the few people who went in came back out mad."

"Oh."

"He... He's just..." Nico shook his head, "being stubborn."

Calynn shook her head, "I'm sure he'll come to his senses. But for now can we talk?"

Nico nodded, "Yeah. I'd like to get my mind off my idiotic boyfriend."

Calynn forced a smile, "The girl who's missing, Esprie, she kept talking about being chased. Being scared. I thought she was talking about monsters... but now she's gone... and I think that... maybe..."

"Maybe it was something other than monsters?"

Calynn nodded, "Yes."

"Something like?"

She shrugged, "I don't know, but something other than monsters. She was convinced that someone was chasing her, even after she was told that no monster could find her here... she was still scared... maybe even more scared."