Chapter 22

~ Nico ~

Suddenly he was painfully aware of Will's hand in his. His mind raced and Hazel just stood there, staring at him.

Will squeezed his hand and let go, the son of Apollo stepped forward. That's what got Nico moving, because the last thing he wanted was for his sister and boyfriend to get off on the wrong foot, no thanks to Will's conversation skills.

"Hi Hazel." Nico managed.

She stared at him for another few seconds, then she rushed forward and tackled him in a hug. She didn't say anything, she just held him. And he held her. And Will stood there awkwardly.

Hazel took a step back, "Why are you here? How long can you stay? Who's this guy? When did you get here? Is everything okay?"

"That's a lot of questions."

"Sorry, sorry." She smiled, "I... I'm just so excited... So, who is this?"

Nico froze, he didn't know what to say. Will stepped forward, "Hi, I'm Will Solace, son of Apollo. Nico's... er... friend." He shook Hazel's hand and she smiled, "It's a pleasure to meet you." She turned to Nico, "It's almost breakfast, you can eat with me and Frank."

"Sounds good."

She smiled, "I'll tell Frank and Reyna that you're here."

"No need, Frank knows."

Hazel blinked, "He does?"

"He let us sleep on the couches in his pretor house." Will offered.

Hazel smiled again, "Of course he did, it's Frank."

* * *

Nico's hand felt empty, Will was beside him, but their hands didn't touch as they followed Hazel to the mess hall. Nico was prepared for the chacos and insanity, Will however, was not.

His eyes widened as they walked in, the couches, the campers, the wind spirits, the food. Nico smiled at him, "Amazing, isn't it?"

Will nodded, "It really is."

Hazel turned and smiled, "It's all so different from Camp Half Blood, don't you think?"

"Yeah." Will smiled.

The three of them made their way across the room, slowly, allowing lots of time for people to look at the new arrivals, and for Nico to glare back. Hazel stopped to talk to someone. "Hey, Hazel, I think we'll go ahead."

Hazel nodded, "Sure, I'll be right there."

They continued on without her. "Nico, are we going to tell her?" Will whispered.

"Tell her what? That we're dating? Yeah, of course, eventually I will."

Wills face reddened, "No, I mean yes. We need to tell her that. I was talking about Leo."

"Oh." Nico hadn't heard that name in a long time.

"What I'm thinking, is that if anything happens to him, they'll all have to go through it all again. The grief."

Nico nodded, "Yeah, that's a good-"

"And the ambassador of Pluto returns." A voice said. They turned, "Oh, hey Dakota."

The son of Bacchus showed his red grin, "The predators are over there," he pointed, "I'll catch you later."

* * *

Frank and Reyna where in the middle of a discussion when they walked over. Frank was the first to notice, "Oh, um hey Nico."

Reyna's head turned so fast her braid almost hit Frank in the face. She looked surprised, then she straightened her spine, collected her emotions and set her jaw. "Nico di Angelo, son of Pluto or should I say Hades. Welcome back."

"Thanks Reyna." He said casually as he flopped down on a couch and gestured for Will to sit. Reyna studied Will, "And you are?"

Nico wanted to stand up and say, 'taken.' but he didn't. Will glanced at Nico, then looked back at Reyna, "I'm Will Solace, son of Apollo. We have a message from Camp Half Blood."

Reyna's expression hardened, "Camp Half Blood? Why do you only come now? The two camps made a deal, and yet there has been no word for months. Why now?"

"Communication hasn't been the best on our side either." Nico said, glancing at Frank for help. A suspicious Reyna was something no one wants meet. But he didn't want Will's first impression of the daughter of Ballona to be wrong.

Frank cleared his throat, "Reyna, why don't we wait for Hazel and after we eat we can talk."

* * *

Reyna sat up straight, she seemed to be thinking hard. Her jaw was set, her fingers tapped halfway between her dagger and the bowl of jelly beans. Frank sat beside her, fiddling with his bow.

He sat beside Will, who looked like he was about to pass out from fear. Maybe he should have better prepared the son of Apollo for what might happen at a Roman camp.

Hazel stood just outside the door, quietly.

Reyna cleared her throat, "Frank, we heard what they have to say, you and Hazel go tell the other centurions, bring Will along, he may be interested in the infirmary." She raised an eyebrow at Nico's boyfriend, "As a son of Apollo, I would think that might be something you would enjoy."

Will nodded as he stood up, he glanced at Nico, "You coming?"

Nico shook his head, "You're on your own Solace." He offered Will a smile, which was returned.

"Frank, you are dismissed." Reyna said sternly.

Frank stood up hurriedly, "Yes Reyna. Will, you can come with me."

Frank was a predator but Reyna was obviously still the one running the camp.

As Frank and Hazel left, followed by Will, Reyna leaned forward. "I'm glad you found someone di Angelo."