Chapter 14

~ Nico ~

"She was a daughter of Zephrus, the spring wind."

Nico's fist clenched, "That doesn't explain why she was being chased."

Calynn shrugged, "It might. Believe it or not the gentle spring wind has quite a number of enemies."

"I believe it."

"Can't blame you."

"So, what do you know about Zephyrus?"

"Well... Zephyrus, sometimes known in English as just Zephyr  in Latin Favonius, is the Greek god of the west wind. The gentlest of the winds, Zephyrus is known as the fructifying wind, the messenger of spring. It was thought that Zephyrus lived in a cave in Thrace. He was reported as having several wives in different stories. But you know the story of Hyacinthus. Zephyrus blew a gust of wind at him and Apollo, striking the Hyacinth in the head with the falling discus. When Hyacinth died, Apollo created the Hyacinth from his blood. Apollo was furious, but Eros protected Zephyrus, as the act was committed in the name of love, on the condition that the wind god served Eros forever."

"Calynn, I know all that. I met the bastard."

She let out a small laugh, "All demigods are bastards, Nico."

He rolled his eyes, "You know what I mean, continue."

"Alright... well Zephyrus' Roman equivalent was Favonius, which means the favouring, who held dominion over plants and flowers. The Roman poet Horace writes: 'Quid fles, Asterie, quem tibi candidi primo restituent vere Favonii?' It means, 'Why do you weep, Asterie, for the man whom the bright west winds will restore to you at the beginning of spring?'"

"And what does that have to do with anything?" Nico asked.

Calynn shrugged, "No clue."

"How did you know all that?"

"Dreams... I guess..."

"And stars?" Nico asked.

"Yeah, dreams and stars. The key to knowing everything."

He laughed, "but what does it all mean?"

"I told you I don't know."

"What did she say... about not being safe here?"

Calynn put out her hand, "I can show you... You know with my memory thing."

Nico had the sudden feeling that Will would come in to see the two of them holding hands, then he shook off the feeling. Why should he care what Will thought, the son of the Apollo was the one who was being stupid. And the only reason he would even come in would be to apologize, which he highly doubted would happen.

He reached out his hand and Calynn took it, "Close your eyes and relax."

"Alright." He said as they lay down, side by side.

"And just a warning, this tires me out so I might pass out after, but I'm fine."

"Okay."Nico muttered as his world faded away.

*

Esprie looked around, "Where am I?"

Will smiled, "You're safe." He promised.

"No, I'm not. I'm not safe anywhere!" She sat up, "Trust me, they are chasing me, as long as I'm around... You're not safe." She tried to get out of bed, but Will held her down, "Alright. I believe you."

She looked surprised, "But no one ever does..."

"I do." He said quietly, "Now, I'm going to help keep you safe, Okay?"

Before she could reply the vision changed to the first time he had talked to the daughter of Zephyrus.

"Esprie..." Calynn asked, "How do you know that?"

She shrugged, "I just do."

Nico looked down at her, not knowing what to say. "Well... Do you like it here?"

She looked up at him, "Yes. But I can't stay. They will come for me."

"You're safe here."

She shook her head, "No. No I'm not. No where is safe."

As she nodded the scene faded away and Nico was back on his bad, holding Calynn's hand.

He looked over at her, "I see what you mean... It was almost like she was scared."

Calynn nodded sleepily.

From the doorway he heard a small squeak. Nico sat up to see Will, standing there with his sweater and a backpack on, as well as a shocked expression on his face. He locked eyes with Nico and glanced down at their two hand, interlocked, Will stiffened. "Never mind." The son of Apollo muttered, he turned and walked away briskly.

Nico let go of Calynn's hand a few seconds to late, he looked over at her who still hadn't gotten up, "Go." She muttered.

"You don't need to tell me to do that." He called over his shoulder as he ran out of his cabin in search of Will.

two updates in one day! i am on fire!