S I X T E E N

Alec ran his fingers through his hair as he walked towards Lydia's office, ready to escort Junèthen to the Silent City, where he would be interrogated. the shadowhunter was reluctant, of course, but he knew it was the Clave's order and he perceived that he had to follow it.

he did try to come up with ideas to make the Clave call off the order, like setting a fire up at the City of Bones or convince the Brothers that he was innocent. he was willing to do anything that is able to stop the white-haired boy to be questioned with a sword that can literally kill him.

every step he made towards the office made his heart itch and his body throb with pain, and he had no idea if it was because he was afraid that his love would die or because of the guilt that was caused by him not being able to save him from it and even agreed with Lydia to send him for that interrogation.

however it was, he knew there was no turning back as he pushed open the unlocked door of the office, ready to usher the suspected one to the venue. he took a deep breath as he stepped towards Junèthen and gently tugged at his arm signally him to stand, which he did.

he nodded at Lydia and she nodded back, telling him that he can escort Junèthen there anytime.

"Junèthen," he gently whispered, wrinkling his thick brows together. his palms burnt as he wrapped his fingers around the demon's pale and cold arm as if his icy skin was salt and Alec's skin was wounded. it was as if the shadowhunter had voluntarily dipped all his wounds into the bucket of salt, it killed Alec but he gladly did it, and he would do it twice even if he doesn't have to.

"don't," the part vampire said, his eyes quickly glancing at the Nephilim's before looking away. his gaze that lasted for a second could literally tell Alec how broken his heart was, though it was just an ice-cold look.

the shadowhunter exhaled sharply before gently pulling him out of the office and towards the portal in the Institute, earning several glares and a scoff from Isabelle. "look how in love you are with Jun, you decided to send the person you love the most to a place where he can literally get slaughtered."

he recalled that moment when the memory of the boy was taken by the demon, and then the kiss he had turned down and then realised how much he shouldn't have let go of Junèthen's hand and how he should have initiated the kiss instead of even turning it down. he wished that he could turn back time, but he can't. he even wished that he could just make all of this stop, but he couldn't.

they stepped out of the portal and took a deep breath in, the smell of ashes filling their lungs.

they were standing outside a building, the entranced being hidden inside it.

-

needless to say, Isabelle was really frustrated with her brother and his wife-to-be, so much that she had literally barged into her office after Alec had brought the nephalem to the city. she didn't bother to knock on the door as she pushed it open.

her heels clicked onto the floor as she growled in front of Lydia, her palms slamming hard onto her wooden desk. Isabelle exhaled distinctly, sending arrows to Lydia through her eyes as if wishing that she would burn to nothing right at that moment.

"you and I both know that Junèthen is innocent," Isabelle said. Lydia's lips were pressed together tight as she looked away from the brunette's eyes.

the blonde sighed. "look, Isabelle, I was following orders. I had no choice-"

"we always have a choice, Branwell. you just wanted him gone because he's a fucking Downworlder and Alec's in love with him," Isabelle chided, resting both her palms on Lydia's table.

Lydia chuckled and shook her head. "the law is the law, Isabelle."

she earned a scoff from the brown-eyed. "oh, planning to kill a Downworlder who returned the love to your fiancé is, hmm?"

"I am not blind, Isabelle. I see Alec's feelings for Junèthen. but his desire and his willingness to sacrifice just to restore his family name and to uphold the honour of it touched my heart in ways I haven't felt in a very long time," the envoy breathed.

Isabelle hated what she said, but she had to admit that it was true. her brother was raised to be the loyal, faithful shadowhunter who will do anything to brace the noble Lightwood name. he had always been sacrificing himself for others, for Jace, for his own sister, his family's repute.

as was anticipated, he would obviously sacrifice his feeling and happiness for the Clave, but she never thought that he would send someone he loved so dearly straight to the entrance of hell, even escorting him there. and she even doubted that Alec knew the pain Junèthen was going through, questioned if he had even placed the part wolf in his heart before the Clave and it's ridiculous orders.

well, it seemed like he never had, and she wondered if he ever will.

"if you care for Alec, you would have cared for his happiness," the Lightwood daughter said.

"shadowhunters know that our duty to our family supersedes our personal desires," Lydia said, "I thought you knew better Isabelle. but seems like you don't, forgot about your relationship with Meliorn."

Isabelle squinted her eyes and sneered at the blue-eyed. "Alec should not have to give up his happiness and who he is just for this! don't you get it, he is in love, and it's not you."

"he should have fallen in love with his job, and not a Downworlder."

-

it was a complete torture for Junèthen to walk to the City, having to feel the powerful rune energy pulsating in the City of Bones that radiated out and towards the platinum blonde. the demon blood in his veins made his skin burn with pain, making him hiss.

Alec had his hands around his arms the whole time, and it hurt him. he didn't mind to go to the city if it meant that Alec would be happy, but it was just the fact that Alec never showed him any emotions or even signs of him objecting this that made him miserable.

under the dim shine of moonlight, the skin of the part vampire glowed palely, his skin whiter and more delicate than paper. the smell of ash tickled his nose as they walked closer and closer to the entrance, the door being glamoured.

"it's here," Alec muttered as he drew a rune on a wall, that vanished and revealed the city's entry. Junèthen sighed as he stood in front of the space, looking at a statue of a Silent Brother.

"listen, Junèthen-" Alec started but was cut off when the part demon shook his head at him.

"don't, Alec. just, usher me in or something, but don't talk about anything. especially not her."

Alec inhaled deeply and placed his hand on the grey eye's back and pushed him gently, taking a step forward but stopped when he felt a sharp, cold metal placed on the side of his neck, and then sighed and turned his head slightly.

Junèthen looked back to see why Alec had stopped and sighed, and gasp when he witnessed a boy - not older than twenty-five, with dark brown hair and mesmerising gold eyes - holding a seraph blade against Alec's neck, a smug smile hung on his face.

"let him go or you'll die in front of where you'll be buried," the boy threatened, pushing the blade against Alec's skin.

"take him."

Alec pulled the platinum blonde away and towards the unknown, smiling gently at the nephalem. "go and be safe, please."

the brunette grabbed a hold of Junèthen and smirked, his blade removed from Alec's neck and sliced through the metal of the handcuffs. he then waved his hand at the open space creating a portal, then pulled the blonde towards it, walking into it.

"I love you," was the last thing Alec said before watching his loved one disappear with someone he had never seen, and couldn't help but feel that ache in his chest.

[oops I planned on writing this a tad bit more intense but being the sucky person that I always had been, it's shitty af lol. alright, ily and vote for this trashy chapter if ya want, ily]