11

My mind raced the entire night with overflowing questions. Harry seemed so mysterious at the restaurant, and even more angry. Finally, after tossing and turning for hours I fell asleep at an unknown hour.

Luckily, my parents are leaving tomorrow seeming as they have to work. It will honestly be a weight lifted off my chest, having them here is like a ghost looming over my shoulder, and I hate it. I've lived with it my entire life, and now that I've gotten away from it, I never want to experience it for longer than I must.

"Are you okay?" Harry asks, a concerned look taking over his features.

Am I okay? This boy sitting next to me is hiding something, and it feels like the bond we have built could easily break if I find out what it is. I like Harry, probably more than I should, but I hate liars. My thoughts battle each other, it's like having a devil on one shoulder and angel on the other.

"I'm fine, didn't get much sleep last night though." I say, forcing a yawn so I don't have to speak anymore.

"Oh, what'd you do with your folks yesterday?" He asks, clearly not getting my hints.

"Went out to, uh, dinner." I gulped down the nervousness building up inside, Harry can not find out that I saw him.

"What restaurant?" He asked, making conversation.

"I-I can't remember. It was really good though."

I guess because I hate liars, I also hate lying. I'm absolutely horrible at it, and I knew I'd slipped up when something in Harry's eyes shifted.

"Must not have been that good if you can't even remember the name of the restaurant." He said with a chuckle.

"I'm forgetful sometimes. Anyways, what did you do yesterday?" I asked, trying to see if he would lie.

"Went out to dinner with an old friend, if you could even call him that." His jaw locked, it seemed that just the thought of the mystery man made him angry.

So, he didn't lie about being out at a restaurant, but he's being secretive about whoever he was there with.

"You've known them awhile?" The more information I can get about this mystery person, the better.

"Since we were kids, I think Baldwin is coming." He said, bringing the conversation to an end before I could really even get it going. I sighed, sitting back in my seat.

As soon as class finished, Harry and I walked outside together. It was still pretty warm, autumn not ready to leave quite yet.

"So, I was thinking tomorrow we could press play on our interrupted date." Harry inquired, flashing his dimpled smile.

Another date is a good opportunity to find out more about Harry's "old friend". I easily accept his offer, hoping I don't get too caught in my feelings to forget about finding out what's really going on.

-

"I'm such a blubbering mess!" My mum said as she sobbed into my shoulder. This has been going on for about twenty minutes now.

"Lillian." Dad says, clearly tired of waiting and ready to get on the road.

"It's getting late mum, the roads will be harder to see." I said, just hoping to get this tear stained shirt off of me and into the washer.

"I know, I know. Just look at her, she's our little girl all groan up!" She whaled, clinging onto me even tighter.

"We'll call you soon sweetie. Come on Lillian, give the girl some space." I gave my dad an appreciative smile, helping them out to the car and spending another five minutes exchanging our goodbyes.

"They seemed really nice." Casey said from the kitchen as I walked back in the apartment.

"Yeah they are." I said, sitting on the bar stool, resting my elbow on the granite island.

"So, how did your date with Harry go? We haven't exactly had time to talk about." Casey smiled widely, ready for some gossip.

"I actually want to talk to you about him, Harry." She cocked her head, confused about my concerned tone. "I'm just wondering if you know if he does anything.. Illegal."

"Well, I've heard rumors."

"Go on." I encouraged.

"I've heard that he's in a gang, drug dealer, even a pimp. The list goes on and on. Just remember that these are rumors, I couldn't imagine Harry being any of those things to be honest."

I can.

"Thanks for letting me know, I'm probably just being paranoid."

The lies were already starting to stack up, and I knew that soon I wouldn't be able to do it anymore.

"No problem, babe. Now, should we order Chinese or pizza?" She asked, taking out her phone ready to speed dial either food place.

"Chinese, most definitely."

(Please vote and comment! Next chapter will be longer.

Instagram: @heswriting )