Back To Black

Charlotte's friends were standing in a place far away of the multitude, some reporters came to get the news about the trial of Charlotte, and they want to show her support.

Maddie, Rhonda and Ericka were observing how Charlotte's parents were talking to the reporters. It's was a circus, where the main attraction was Charlotte's fate.

The jury was discussing the result, and they have the final resolution.

"You didn't knew about this?" Ericka asked to Maddeleine.

"No, and this make me feel worse." Maddie was really sad.

"Calm down, we have to be strong for Charlotte..."

Rhonda's words seemed to have a calming effect on Maddie, and then she patted her shoulder, while Ericka pointed that the doors were open.

"What are you doing here?" Susan dragged Valery to a corner, where no one could see them.

"I came to see, what else?"

"You can't, and it be better if you wait, in a few moments will know the last statement."

"But..."

"Please Val, just do it for me, please."

***

"We found the accused not guilty" A person of the jury said, while everyone began to approve that decision.

"Very well" The judge said with a serious face. "Today, I declare Mrs. Charlotte Griffin, not guilty in the case of the murderer of Victor Griffin, with the authority that the state offers me, all the charges against her are withdrawn."

The relief in the crowd were very audible, and Victor's mother, cried in silence, while Alina, grabbed her hand nodding.

Charlotte smiled without emotion, she could barely understand the words that the lawyer was telling to her.

Her parents waited in the hall, outside the room, while many people were taking photos of her. She did not smile, cry or talk. She was only avoiding the crow.

Maddeleine and the others were behind her; but Maddie only could reach for her hand and smiled to Charlotte. A soft "thank you" was a relief for Maddie, and then Charlotte disappeared in the sea of people that surrounded her. In front of the court building was a black Cadillac CTS sedan, Charlotte observed the person in front of her, who smiled and opened the door for her.

Katrina entered to the car after Charlotte, and they left the place.

***
Days after she was carrying a toy on her hand. Austin was inspecting the place. Maddie was next to her.

"It's going to be hard sell this place, you know"

"It's ok, you can sell it even cheaper, I don't want this place."

Austin nodded and fixed his bow tie. His was nervous about Charlotte, he didn't want to mess up with her.

Charlotte walked around the place. Now everything was clean. That place, it had good and bad memories; she had to leave.

"Charts, what are you going to do with Victor's stuff?" Maddie asked, while Austin was on the phone.

"Alina is going to come and the rest I'm going to donate it."

"Okey... do you want me to help you with something else?"

"No Maddie, you have things to do"

***

"How are you?"

"Well... I'm fine, I guess."

Sebastian caressed her hand, standing next to her. The cold of the day made her hands cold.

She sat in a bench, the park was lonely, the trees were losing all its leaves.

"I'm sorry, if I only knew..." Sebastian sat next to her, and she moved away.

"It doesn't matter now. I have to go Sebastian, I need to prepare everything for the funeral" She hugged herself and quickly left him alone.
***

The rain began to fall, softly, making the day even sadder. The funeral procession marched through the lights drops of rain, the black coats shined with the crystalline and tiny drops.

Charlotte was walking all alone in front of all the people, being followed by Victor's mother and sister, then, her family, last friends and acquaintances.

The priest began to say some words of comfort to the people in there. Charlotte did not cry. She remained quiet, when the time come, she throw a white rose.

Marvin would be in a better place, Charlotte was for sure that her baby won't suffer anymore. Saying goodbye was hard, she had so many plans to do with him, now...

"You damn hypocrite, how dare you... " Valery was crying, interrupting everything, Victor's mother was observing her, and everybody was paying attention to her. "You killed him, how dare you!"

Charlotte stopped and look her face. Maddie, Rhonda and Ericka stand besides Charlotte while her parents and brother were whispering, and none of them made a move.

"What's wrong with you, Val?" Ericka asked innocently, trying to calm her.

"She was the one" Without any emotion, Charlotte spoke.

"Eh?" The others watched each other and Susan began to denied softly.

"You fucking hypocrite! You took everything from me!! You didn't leave, he could be with me, and our baby"

"Wait, Val, what are you saying?"

The words began to make sense, Maddie began to understand them all. Without saying a word, she quickly moved and slapped Val, so hard that she fell in a pile of mud.

"You are the hypocrite, how could you do to your friend! Your friend!! You should have dignity and leave or I going to bury you with the trash that you love so much"

"You are no one to tell me a thing!" Valery stood, all covered in mud. The people was amused by the show in front of their eyes; Charlotte's mother covered her ashamed face, while Victor's...

"Leave" The voice ordered to Valery. "You have no right to come and insult my son's wife, you are offending her with her pain, and my own pain. I can't forgive what he did to my grandchild, but yet he was my son, and now you come to ruin the last good image that I have of him. It was because of you that this happened. Go, I don't want to see you face, go!!" Victor's mother yelled to Valery, confusing her.

Charlotte stood in front of Valery, and took her hand, surprising everyone, giving her the red rose, that she was carrying for Victor. She closed Valery's hand, pinching her with the spines, until the blood came out of her hand.

"Say goodbye to my husband, and go..." Charlotte got close to her ear and whispered "I always knew it was you, but he didn't want to let me go... I can't tell if he ever loved you".

They separated and Valery tossed way the rose, and left the place. Charlotte turned to see everybody, while Alina was comforting her mother; Charlotte cleaned her throat, and asked to continue. Valery was looking to them at the distance, Susan walked to her.

After everything was over, Charlotte saw how the people left, and only Maddie, Victor's family and hers remained. She observed the cemetery, and saw Valery hiding behind a tree; the rain began to pour, and she disappear.

"Charlotte, honey, you should come home and get some rest..." Her mother called her, and she nodded. She looked to the grave one more time, with pain in her heart, she felt so empty, the world was so empty for her, the cold, invaded her to the bones; it was time for her to say...

"Goodbye".