04.04.17

or when your dreams whisper in your ears.

she sent a jeer my way at the campsite. i remembered her, but she obviously didn't remember me enough to recall that i hadn't been present long enough for her jab to be one of humor.

tears prickled my eyes, and before she could call after me, i dove into the lake.

the water was cold and green, as it should be in this spring. my clothes were hardly a strain on my gliding through the water.

it seemed to be a long time before I reached the surface again, closer to another bank, this one opposite where the girl was.

i was still fairly far out, and once i gulped down some air, i struggled to get to the miniature dock, even though i am a swimmer.

a familiar-faced girl sneered down at me, and as she turned her back to me, i cried out, "please help me!" it came out garbled.

once i reached the dock, i was unable to use my own strength to climb up.

another familiar face came into view. i whimpered a meek, "help," as i continued to struggle to hoist myself out of the water.

his hand tentatively grabbed my wrist and pulled me onto the wooden dock.

i scrambled to my feet and recognized his face.

and then i bolted, shaking it away away away.

his role in my story was supposed to be over.