10.27.17

or when your pillow is just good.

we spent psychology making quiet chatter in our group of three. my blanket draped across our legs, a close friend and a best friend on one side or another, we mumbled as a couple of projects were presented. we kicked off our shoes, they scooted in closer to me in some awful attempt to ameliorate my chills, and we rested heads on shoulders and shoulders against each other.

soon enough, the close friend left to talk to another friend whom i'd grown closer to, leaving me and him together, sitting on the chairdesk and joking about this thing or that.

"you're very gentle," he said.

"hm?"

"when you lay your head down on my shoulder, you do it very lightly." i lifted my head so i could tilt it in a bit of confusion. "don't worry, you won't break me or anything."

i grinned a little, then resting my head against him once more. it was a napping kind of day.

when lunch came, he stole my blanket from my bag, and who can blame him? he wore it as a cape-like fabric as we walked to the cafeteria.

"i'll see you later!" he said as he went off toward his locker to get his lunch. he always reassured me with his goodbyes that it would not be our last encounter. i smiled at the thought.

we returned to the classroom laden with food and more tiredness. now actually sitting in the desks, physics homework and a "nap circle" ensued. with our friend laying across the desks behind us, he leaned back, using her leg as a likely-uncomfortable pillow, and i his shoulder once more. the discomfort was real, but the feeling of acceptance among these peers was more real.

it broke up as soon as he felt the need to do physics homework, yet he still invited me to use him as a pillow. he continued to comment on how gently i laid my head on him, and i continued to lean into him like you lean toward a campfire.

the bell rang for fourth period, and as i was putting my water bottle away, he said, "i've got to pack up, you can go ahead without me."

"it's fine."

it didn't take him long to get his things together, and we walked together, like always.

i like walking with him, always.