Chapter 9

"Round table, left side. Round table, left side." I whispered to myself as I searched the large cafeteria for a familiar face.

"Harper!" I heard someone say.

I turned and saw Lauren and Veronica both smiling and waving at me, but no Romeo. "You got up!" Lauren smiled as I took a seat next to them, three open seats still at the table.

"Yeah, I did." I smiled, still wondering where Romeo was at. "Where's Romeo?"

"What time is it?" Lauren asked. She looked at her phone clock which read 6:50. "Class doesn't start for another ten minutes, he probably was just too tired to come to breakfast, we'll see him in class."

I nodded and smiled as I got up to grab something small to eat. I decided on a fruit parfait and sat back down at the table.

"Nervous?" Lauren asked.

"Not really, no." I shrugged as I put a spoonful of yogurt in my mouth.

"Good, you shouldn't be. Teachers are for the most part really nice, and we don't get too much homework." Veronica smiled.

"Since we're in the same grade it's a given that we'll have some classes together." Lauren said as she texted someone back on her phone. "Sophomore class is the smallest."

"Oh, gotcha." I nodded.

A bell went off and the student quickly threw away their breakfast trays, milk cartons and breakfast bar wrappers as they made their ways to the red exit signs.

"What's your first?" Lauren asked me as we stepped outside into the courtyard.

"My what?" I asked her.

"Your first." I continued to give her a blank stare. "Your first class." She elaborated.

"Oh!" I grinned, a little embarrassed. "Anatomy."

"Seriously? You too?" Veronica asked. The expression of her face read that she was not very pleased.

"You have to be really smart to get into anatomy, Veronica is just mad because she wasn't smart enough to to get in." Lauren snickered.

"It's a junior class!" Veronica bickered. "At least I think it is."

"You're taking Algebra one, I took that as a freshman." Lauren said as she rolled her eyes.

"Well off I go to that freshman class." Veronica said as she turned and entered a classroom.

"Where's our class?" I asked Lauren as we continued to walk down the hall.

"Not here, this is the freshman hall." she stated before we turned a sharp corner. "It should be around here."

I searched the numbers and names on the doors, looking for our first hours class number. "Right here." Lauren said as she pointed to a wooden door that read "anatomy" in funky lettering.

"I didn't even call my parents this morning." I frowned as we walked in and took our seats next to each other.

"Honey, they probably won't even notice." Lauren laughed. "I contact mine, maybe once a week."

"That's all?" I asked shocked. The one minute bell radiated through the school, and students started to rush to their class so that they wouldn't be tardy on the first day.

"Romeo isn't here yet?" Lauren asked as she searched the classroom.

"Maybe he has a different first hour." I suggested, but it sounded more like a question when it came out.

"No way." Lauren said as she shook her head. "I took his schedule out of his dorms mailbox before he got to it and blamed it on his wicked witch of a girlfriend."

"Are you sure you should be here?" I asked.

"Yeah, this is my first hour, where else should I be?" Lauren asked.

"I don't know, a nut house." I joked. The tardy bell rang after I made the comment, signaling that it was time for class to start.

"Hello class, I am Ms. Michaels, I'll be your anatomy teacher this year. I am twenty-six, love dogs and have a boyfriend named Michael, funny since that's like my last name, I know." She said with very little enthusiasm. "Now for attendance.

I shot a glance to Lauren, and I could see that she had shot me one back out of the corner of my eye.

"Tina Abbin."

"Here." A girl with French braids said as she typed on her phone.

"Henry Bantam."

"Here." A thin boy with short blonde hair said from the table to the left of me.

"Romeo Beckham." Ms. Michaels searched the room for Romeo. "Romeo Beckham? Not here." She crossed out Romeo's name and continued down the list.