Chapter 41

"You guys should go back to school, I don't want to make you miss any classes." Romeo said, his voice croaky, he sounded out of breath, and kept asking for water because he was so thirsty.

"Are you sure?" I asked him. "I mean you just got out of surgery, we can stay."

"Go," Romeo touched my hand. "Please. I'll be okay."

"Will you be coming back to school?" Veronica asked as she played with the hospital room curtains.

"I want to, but my parents aren't thinking that it would be a good idea, sadly." Romeo frowned as he fluttered his eyes, he must be tired. But I mean, all of us where, and we could all use a long nap right about now.

"I need you, man." Hunter said as he patted Romeo's back.

"I'll keep trying to talk them into it, i'll text you if I find anything out." Romeo reassured us. "You should go, you have nothing to worry about."

"Promise to keep us posted?" Lauren asked as she stood and grabbed her coat.

"Promise." He answered.

"In that case, hopefully see you soon." Lauren gave him a hug. Then Veronica did, then Hunter did. I hovered behind them, waiting my turn to give him a hug.

I finally stepped forward to give him a hug. "Harper," Romeo said mid-hug, "Thank you."

"For what?" I asked him as I pulled back from the hug.

"For everything." He smiled.

"Harp, you coming?" Hunter poked his head back into the hospital room.

"Yeah, one sec." I answered. "And you don't have to thank me," All of a sudden Eric popped into my head, as soon as the urge to say 'I love you' to Romeo, not sure if I meant it in a friend way or more. But when Eric popped in my head I decided the right thing to say wasn't that.

"That's what friends do." I finished the sentence as I started to walk out of the room, looking back to see Romeo with an expressionless face.