Chapter 39

"I am so sorry to wake you Miss, but you and your friends are now aloud into Mr. Beckham's room." The front desk man said as he lightly shook me.

"No it's fine!" I said as I immediately sat up and began to shake Veronica and Lauren roughly. "Thank you very much."

"No problem, Miss. Room two sixty-three, give your names to the nurse standing by the door and she will grant you access to see Mr. Beckham before he goes into surgery." The front desk man said as I nodded to tell him I understood before he made his way back to the front desk to file some paperwork.

"What is it?" Veronica and Lauren both asked me as they yawned and rubbed their eyes. "Is Romeo okay?" Veronica asked.

"We are aloud to see him before his next surgery, but we have to hurry because we won't have much time." I told them as I stood up and straightened my clothes. Lauren and Veronica quickly gathered their thoughts and stood up behind me as we made our way quickly to the east wing, almost running without disrespecting the 'no running' signs on the hospital walls.

"I am going to assume you are here to see Mr. Romeo Beckham." The nurse who looked in her late twenties rolled her eyes as she grabbed the clipboard that was hanging on Romeo's hospital room door. "I've had about thirty of you guys in the last hour, so i'm assuming you're not on the list either, but I am more than willing to check."

"Um yes please," I said as I looked back at the still sleepy Veronica and Lauren. "Harper Collins, Lauren Michaels and Veronica Shillings."

"Well surprise surprise," The nurse said as she highlighted our three names, "you guys are all on the list."

"Thank goodness, thank you." I said as she let us scoot by her and into the hospital room where Romeo was.

"Oh Romeo!" Lauren said as soon as we saw him. He had tubes coming out of his nose and two IV's in each of his arms. He looked awful, but anything was fine as long as he was still alive.

"Do you think he can hear us?" Veronica asked as they both took a seat. I hovered by Romeo, his eyes looked glued shut, but I could see that he was breathing, which took weight off my chest almost instantly.

"I'm not sure." I said as I continued to stand by him. "But it's worth a try, he might be able to hear us." I couldn't help but touch his hand, his lifeless-looking hand. His hand was cold to the touch, but I didn't pull away.

As I stood there, looking at Romeo with pity and sadness, I felt his hand twitch under mine. "Romeo?" I said as my heart started to beat fast in hope that he was recovering. "Move your hand again if you can hear me."

And with that, a few seconds later, I felt his hand twitch under mine again.