Chapter 15

"I almost thought you weren't going to show." Romeo said as I took a seat at our table.

"I was ten minutes late, don't be dramatic." I joked. "My little sister called."

"What can I get you to drink, Ma'am?" The waitress asked me.

"Water with lemon, please." I smiled as I turned back to Romeo.

"How's your family back in New York?" Romeo asked me as we both scanned the menu.

"They're good. How's your family back in England?"

"I haven't talked to them yet, actually." Romeo shrugged.

"What?" I asked as I dropped my menu in shock. "Why not?"

"I don't know." He frowned.

"You need to call them, I'm sure they miss you like crazy!" I smiled.

"I doubt it."

"I don't, c'mon, you're Romeo, they have to be in love with you, I'm sure you're the best son they could've asked for!" I reassured him.

"No that would be Cruz."

"Why not you?" I asked. "Or the one with the girly name?"

"That's what you think of Brooklyn's name?" Romeo raised an eyebrow at me.

"No, sorry." I backtracked. "I just do have a cousin with that same exact name, a girl cousin."

"I think it's girly too." Romeo laughed.

"You do not!"

"I do, but it might be because it's fun to joke with my brother."

"And you have a name from one of my favorite stories." I smiled as I sipped the lemon water the waitress had just brought me. "Romeo and Juliet."

"I hate when people bring that up to me!"

"You don't like the story?" I asked, offended.

"Never read it." Romeo said with shame on his face, "Never really had interest to."

I gasped. "Romeo! I am so disappointed in you!"

"Never even got the chance to read it!" He continued, trying to make me less upset with him.

"Not an excuse." I said as I turned my head away from him. "We had to read it in ninth grade!"

"We didn't!"

"You guys here are crazy!" I sighed.

"Says the girl who is obsessed with a story from forever ago."

"Okay I'm going to pretend you didn't say that," I said as I shook my head, dissatisfied with Romeo's comment. "It is a great story, I love romance."

"Do you now?" Romeo asked as he raised an eyebrow at me.

"Yes, actually."

"Well miss lover of romance, what are you getting?" Romeo asked as he brought our attention back to the menu.

"Chocolate pancakes, what about you?"

"Yummy, do I get a bite?" He smiled.

"Depends, what are you getting?" I shot back a smirk.

"Plain pancakes."

"Wow, that's almost as boring as your personality." I said before I could think it through. Even though it was a joke, I immediately regretted it. "Just kidding!"

"Ouch Harper, first you make fun of my brothers name, then you make fun of what I'm ordering, low blows, low blows." Romeo said as he shook his head, trying to hide a small smile that wanted to spread across his face.

"You insulted Romeo and Juliet, I had to." I shrugged.

"Noted." Romeo smiled as the waitress walked back over to get our order.