Eight

I wake up when it's still dark out. My body is still tingling and he is still snoring lightly. I want to get up, but he tightens his grib on me. I have a feeling that I am not going anywhere. I look around but the room is dark. I can barely see a thing. Only the light of the clock on the wall.

04:58

'Go back to sleep,' he mumbles.

'I can't,' I whisper.

'Why not? It is way to early.'

'I just can't. I am hungry,' I say.

He growls softly, loses me and turns on the lamp on the nightstand on his side. He slowly sits up.

'What are you doing?,' I ask confused.

'Making you something to eat,' he says.

'No, you go back to sleep. I know where your kitchen is,' I say.

'But...'

'Go back to sleep,' I say and I am just as shocked as he is when I rest my hand on his shoulder. He looks at me, smiles and lays back down.

'Be careful,' he says.

'I'll just scream if something is wrong,' I joke and get off from the bed. I walk towards the door slowly.

'Leave the door open,' he mumbles before falling back asleep.

I do as he says and make my way to the kitchen, turning on the light. I open every cabinet there is to look for cereal, but there is nothing here. Annoyed I open the kitchen to find cucumber, tomatoes, cheese, salad dressing and other things perfect for a salad. I take a knife and start cutting everything in silence.

***

The woman hums her favorite love song as her little girl is sitting on the ground in the kitchen drawing her favorite animal, a bunny.

The man walks in and looks at his wife. He walks past her and stands behind her. Dancing with her, moving with her as she cuts the vegetables small. The little girl looks at them and smiles,but then it turns into horror.

He whispers something in her mother's ears and she just stands still. Her eyes fill with tears as she tries to cover her feelings up. With a hard smile on his face, he leaves the kitchen.

Leaving his broken wife and his little girl all alone.
The woman falls on the ground and start to cry.
The little girl runs towards her mother and hugs her.

'Don't cry momma, everything will be alright,' she says while brushing her mother's hair. Her mom had thought her well.

***

Tears fall into my salad and I take a few steps back. I hold the knife in my hands tight and let the tears stream down my face.

Suddenly I hear a voice and out of reflects I throw the knife as hard as I can towards the sound.

He moves away quick enough and the knife hits the wooden wall beside him.

'Are you trying to kill me?,' he asks pissed, but his expression gets soft when he sees me with tears. 'What is wrong.'

'He killed her father, my grandfather and still she stayed with him,' I say in a haze.

'Are you okay?,' he asks walking towards me as my hole body shakes out of fear. Not for my mate, but for the man who doesn't even know that I am alive. For the man who tortured me for years. I wish I never cross paths with him again. I wish he never finds me. 'You look as if you have seen a ghost.'