That's Just How The Story Goes. (Patrick Stump x Reader)

"And that's the story of how I woke up naked in a bush," Brendon concluded, raising his almost-empty beer bottle in a salute before chugging down the remaining liquid; the rest of the group laughing heartily at his hilarious anecdote. "Interestingly enough, it wasn't the only time. But I'm not sure the second story is exactly legal to share."

"Yeah, I think we'll give that one a pass for now," you said, patting Brendon's knee as he shrugged in response. "Anyone have anything else they want to share?"

There were numerous murmurs that sounded throughout the room as everyone racked their brains for a story they hadn't told before. No one seemed to be having much luck until Pete let out a sudden laugh.

"Wait," he said, trying to regain his composure, "Besides Joe and Andy, have I ever told you guys about the first time Patrick tried to ask (Y/N) out?"

He hadn't, and this caused everyone to start chattering in excitement, urging him to explain what had happened.

Well, everyone expect for Patrick.

"Oh, no, please don't," he groaned, but Pete ignored him.

"Alright, so it was a Tuesday..."

*

"Pete, I can't do it."

"Yes, you can, bro. She's right there, all you have to do is walk up to her and speak."

"Yeah, because that's not nerve-wrecking at all," Patrick retorted while nervously readjusting his fedora.

"She's sitting, like, ten steps away from you. Alone. It's the perfect scenario."

"You're right, it is. At this exact moment. Until I start walking and I trip over my shoelaces. Or I try to start speaking and I throw up instead."

"Firstly, your shoelaces are tied, we triple checked. Secondly, you haven't eaten today, so the chances of you blowing chunks are extremely thin."

"Or," Patrick held up a finger, "Or, I can just not go over and then the chances of me embarrassing myself will go from thin to zero."

"Oh my god, just GO!" Pete shoved Patrick harsher than necessary, resulting in the blond losing his footing for a little bit and nearly bumping into you. He managed to stop himself just in time, though, and shot a hostile glance at his best friend, who was grinning like an idiot and recording with his cellphone.

Patrick cleared his throat and started fiddling with his fingers. "Hey, (Y/N). So, uh, we've-we've known each other for a while now and I, uh, I was wondering if you wanted to go on a-a date?"

Removing your earphones, you gave Patrick a small smile. "I'm sorry. Did you say something?"

He smiled painfully. "D-do you have a pencil?"

"Oh, yeah, sure," you perked, reaching into your bag for one before handing it to him, his cheeks turning pink when your fingers brushed against his.

"Thank you," Patrick whispered before turning around and practically running away from you as fast as his legs could carry him.

Pete put his phone away and grimaced as his friend sulked his way towards him, looking as defeated as ever.

"Hey, look on the bright side," Pete mused, earning an incredulous look from Patrick. "Technically, she didn't reject you."

*

"He was so embarrassed, he wouldn't go outside for a full week!"

The guys were in fits of laughter while the girls were more sympathetic towards your now-husband, 'awwing' and reassuring him that it was cute.