Caterpillar. (Patrick Stump x Reader)

════════════════

Note: No, there probably won't be a Part 2.

════════════════

Okay. This is it. You're gonna go up there, and talk to her, and wow her.

Patrick tentatively stuck his head around the oak bookcase and peeked at your unaware figure as you browsed through the books on the shelf.

"Alright. Here goes," he murmured, trying to hype himself up as best he could while walking over to you. "Hey. I noticed the book you're holding is one I've read, and I just wanted to say that I think it's a really good one-"

You peered at the book you were holding and raised an eyebrow. "You've read... Encyclopaedia of Earthworms?" you questioned sceptically.

"......Yes?"

SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIT. NOW SHE THINKS YOU'RE A CREEP. WAY TO GO, BUDDY. TIME TO HIDE UNDER A ROCK FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE AND LIVE WITH THE GOD DAMN EARTHWORMS.

"Reaaaaly?" you catechized, raising both eyebrows and folding your arms over your bust. "Okay, then. Which earthworm is most at risk of becoming endangered?"

"Uh... uh... caterpillars?" Patrick said with a nervous chuckle while he grimaced at himself.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOU IDIOT? CATERPILLARS AREN'T EARTHWORMS. NOW SHE THINKS YOU'RE STUPID TOO.

His response caused you to crack-up, the glorious sound of your laugh making him forget all about his humiliation.

"Maybe that should be the topic of my research paper. Caterpillars: The Long Lost Relative of The Earthworm," you said, making dramatic hand gestures as you went along, ending with a giggle that encouraged Patrick to laugh with you.

Okay, she's laughing. That's good. Means she's not weirded out.

"So, you're a... person that studies insects?" he pointed at the book you still had in your grasp, stammering a little when he couldn't think of the correct term for what you were.

I bet she's really smart. She looks really smart. God, that's hot.

"An entomologist? Yes. Well, almost. I'm just one research paper and final exam away from becoming fully qualified," you beamed, showing a sliver of pride, which Patrick found exceptionally attractive.

I knew it.

"Wow, that's awesome. Must be cool to be able to study insects and animals like that. Like, on a much bigger scale than most."

"Yeah, it's pretty interesting stuff. They're so intricately designed, and unique in the way that they function; it's remarkable to learn," you gushed. You stopped yourself from going too in-depth, afraid that you might bore the cute stranger who'd approached you, but Patrick didn't mind one bit. Your voice was hypnotic, and drew him in to a point where he was sure that you could've spoken about the most mundane thing in the world, yet he'd still be hanging on to your every word. "So, what about you?" you asked, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear. "What do you do?"

Her voice is the best sound I've ever heard.

"Me? Oh, uh, I'm a musician," he said sheepishly, worried that someone as intelligent as you would want nothing to do with someone such as himself, who didn't have a sure shot at becoming a success.

Your reaction was the exact opposite, though. You seemed genuinely interested and began asking him questions about it, desperate to learn more about him.

"Which instruments do you play?"

"Um, guitar, bass, piano, drums, percussion, keyboard, trombone, saxophone, trumpet, synthesizer, mandolin, and guitalele."

Your mouth fell open in shock and you had to shake your head to make sure that you'd heard correctly. "You play all of those?" you asked in disbelief and Patrick nodded yes. "Geez," you scoffed. "If you had told me you sing too, you would've convinced me that you are a robot."

OMG, SHE'S IMPRESSED. GO AHEAD, TELL HER YOU SING TOO!

"Actually..."

"NO WAY!"

"SHH!" the hateful librarian yelled at you from her desk across the mostly-vacant room. You raised your hands in apology and directed your attention back to Patrick.

"Yeah, I'm actually the lead singer for my band."

"God," you whispered, gasping in incredulity before checking the watch on your wrist and furrowing your eyebrows in disappointment. "Look, as much as I'd greatly like to continue this conversation – you're freaking amazing, by the way – the librarian is still giving us the evil-eye and I'm about to be late for class, sooo..." you pulled out a pen from your bag and scribbled your number onto the bare skin of his hand, giving him one last smile and walking away.

Holy smokes. She gave me her number. She actually gave me her-

"WAIT!" he called after you, tossing the librarian an apologetic grin when she shot him a death glare. "I'm Patrick. What's your name?"

You smirked at the blond standing a few feet away from you.

"Caterpillar."

_______________________________

Thank you for reading x