♧Prologue♧

Prologue

"Love makes you do stupid things."

Hannah Charles

Strolling along the occupied Wall Street with Tinea, my tanned Hawaiian roommate, we talked about the unpredictable weather. It was another one of our usual topics of the day. It rained the whole week. Without a doubt, it would pour unflattering mojito soon.

Glancing at the dark passing clouds, something strange caught my eyes.

I rubbed my eyes and gazed up again in that particular direction. I was pretty sure my vision was playing tricks on me.

Wait, no. I couldn't be imagining things. This couldn't be possible. I crooked my head to face Tinea, she was multitasking. That girl probably wasn't even listening to me. It seemed impossible to get her away from her precious android phone.

Honestly, I hated it when people talked to me while they were texting. Their eyes were always glued to it like it was the love of their life. It was very disturbing to find them not taking my words to their ears. Once, I threw Alex's phone out of the window because he was pretending to be listening when he was actually texting.

This had become a habit to not only Tinea, but to almost everyone. Busy passers-by were all multitasking. I evilly wished that Tinea would hit a pole for not listening to me or better, snatched her phone out of her hands and tossed it at the George Washington's statue. That will surely get her consideration and stop 'Uh-huh' to everything I say.

I nudged Tinea with my elbow since she wasn't giving me her full attention, "Tinea, for the love of God, stop freaking texting or you'll suffer the same fate as Alex's gadget."

She huffed, looking away from her precious device, "What?"

"Look there," I pointed out. Instantaneously, her fingers stopped moving like she was cracking nuts and followed my gaze.

"Wha-What is it? Yeah, I know it's gonna rain soon darling. There's no need to panic. I have a spare umbrella in my bag," she said, her left hand holding onto her bag tightly.

I nudged her again. This time pointing my index finger in the direction that had caught my attention. She skimmed at the direction. Slightly raising her head up, she blinked a few times before saying, "Freaking unbelievable! Who in their right freaking state of mind would do something so foolish?"

Yeah, I definitely picked out the freaking word from her.

I wasn't imagining it then. She must have seen it too.

She added, "That dude must be outta his freaking mind."

"Yeah, tell me about it!"

"Anna, are you thinking what I'm thinking?" We abruptly halted our steps and widened our eyes at each other. "It's him, right?"

"It's hard to say Tinea; I can't see anything from here. It could be a girl or an object." I couldn't see anything apart from a shadow. How could she assume anything from a shadow? Her big round gray eyes looked at me questioningly.

We both marched further down the street to get a better view.

A few pedestrians walking by stopped, staring up in the same direction we were. It took only a few seconds for a small crowd to gather.

I looked around and then looked up again. It was hard to digest what my vision saw. A figure was standing at the edge of the tall and elegant Maverick Empire building.