Chapter 13

Harry’s POV

I tried to muster up as much confidence as possible as I strutted through my humble home in search of my parents. I knew this conversation wasn’t going to be an easy one, but it needed to be had. I wasn’t going to make it out of school alive if I didn’t transfer soon.

“Mum? Dad?” I called out.

“In the kitchen!” My mother’s soft voice responded.

I hesitantly made my way into the kitchen and paused in front of the table.

“Can I uh talk to you guys for a minute?” I nervously asked. I wasn’t good with this whole serious conversation thing.

“Sure… take a seat.” My parents eyed me skeptically as I pulled out a chair and sat down. Usually they had to force two worded sentences out of me so it was very unusual for me to be initiating conversation.  “So what is this about…?” My mother trailed off when I didn’t start talking right away.

I felt extremely uncomfortable under my father’s scrutinizing gaze but forced myself to speak up.

“It’s about school… I want to transfer out of private school.” I blurted out. Instant regret washed over me as I bit my lip and gauged my parent’s reaction anxiously. My mother seemed almost nervous and looked to my father whose face was blank and unreadable like always.

“Why would you want to do such a thing?” My father observed me suspiciously.

“I just… I don’t like it there and I think I could benefit more from a public school.” I really wished I had thought this through before sitting down with my parents. I couldn’t think of a single excuse besides that the kids were assholes, which my father would never believe since it was a religious school.

“Benefit you more? Impossible. Your school is deemed the finest educational institution in the state. You simply can’t get a better education anywhere else and the religious affiliation linked with the school is phenomenal. Not to mention the large sums of money your mother and I have spent for you to attend this prestigious school.” He scolded harshly.

I looked down in shame and tried to come up with anything convincing. “But I-” I struggled to grasp onto any reasoning.

“But you nothing. You’re being completely irrational and selfish here Harry.” My father spit scornfully.

My vision started to blur as I felt the tears forming in my eyes.

“Please” I pleaded, “You don’t understand. I can’t go back there. The kids there… I just can’t” I whispered, barely audible.

A long uncomfortable silence followed my confession as my father eyed me disdainfully. Finally, my mother’s infuriated voice broke through the quiet.

“You’ve got to be kidding me. Have you gone mad?” My mother questioned in astonishment, glaring at my father.

My mum usually just sided with my father on every matter because appeasing him was much easier than getting on his bad side. But for once, it seemed like she had the final straw.

“You’ve gone too far this time. I refuse to allow you to comprise our son’s mental and physical health yet again just to ensure your precious reputation is intact.” She seethed.  

My father seemed utterly baffled at her sudden outburst.

“But we-” He argued.

“But we nothing” She held up her hand to silence him so she could continue her rant, “This is only about you and you know it. You’re the one being selfish here. All you care about is what the community thinks about you and the church. You pay more mind to that church than you do your own son.”