Chapter 15: Research

"It's scary what a smile can hide."

*************************************

Moriarty wasn't an idiot.

He knew to do his research before getting into anything he wasn't prepared for.

That being said, he didn't know much about love. He knew that it involved the release of chemicals in the brain which sometimes accompanied physical reactions. He knew that it was what most of his classmates and peers had fallen into, as the majority of the couples in his school had spent their time between classes snogging each other senseless in the hallways as he walked past. He understood the reactions that one had when the chemical's were uncontrollably released, and that it was rather hard to hide them.

Yet he didn't know how to deal with it. He wasn't one to stare at women all day, or harass them on the street. He preferred to spend his nights planning for some criminal act, or simply trying to get some sleep.

So, when the first instinct in his mind was to research what he felt for her, he was a little confused on what to do. So, he simply hacked into her high school's database, and searched through the old files about her.

The first things to come up were quite a few files of detention slips, all getting increasingly disturbing. The first one had the simple phrase of: "Miss Constance said a curse word in class."

The next was: "Beth stole a classmate's pencils."

He started looking through them ten at a time. Skipping a handful before going to the next one. The 25th one he found was a little.... Well, Beth.

"Threatened Tom Potts with a knife."

The 30th was even more like her. The added insanity just seemed to follow her wherever she went.

"She set a beaker on fire. Do something."

The last one was from quite a few teachers who had written one note about her.

"Screw it. We're retiring. Burn her at the stake for all we care."

The next category to show up were her report cards. They were all A's. She had only ever gotten into one advanced class, and that was in Language Arts, but suffice to say, she was smart.

There were her badly done yearbook photos, and a few randomly snapped pictures of her.

The last thing to pop up of her high school years was a simply piece of paper.

To the left, it showed a picture of her leaning against a  tree, with a large smile on her face. Her eyes were lit up, and she was wearing a loose plaid shirt with tight jeans, with her hair pulled into a messy bun.

To the right was her description.

It was a missing person's report.

Missing Person.

Name: Constance, Lizbeth J.

Age: 16 years, 7 months.

Hair: Black

Eyes: Grey

Height: 5'5

Weight: 111 lbs.

He did a facial scan of her, and the results popped up about an hour later, with a number of names and job descriptions. Moriarty wrote down her various aliases.

Lizbeth Constance [real]

Skylar Cloud

Jane Fray

Kelly Brown

Emma Brixton

Jade Mare

Hannah Tinner

Her careers were... Interesting, to say the least. A few she had actually participated in. A few she hadn't. Her 2003-2005 alias, Emma Brixton, had supposedly been a librarian. Beth hadn't participated in this, and there wasn't any photos to show proof that she had actually been there in her life. Yet her 2006-2009 alias, Hannah Tinner, had been listed as a game designer. It turns out that Beth had enjoyed the job, and actually showed up at the work place. After all, security cameras don't lie.

There were a few inappropriate pictures of her dancing half-naked in some club, which he quickly scrolled past, and there was one or two photos of Beth buying coffee, but that was about it.

As suspected, there wasn't that much. She was like a ghost.

Oh god, she was perfect. She was smart. Cunning as hell. Sweet lord, she had fooled him when they had first met! Oh god, he was surprised he hadn't fallen for her sooner-

No.

The "perfect woman" didn't exist. Nobody was perfect. She had to have some flaw. Something that could crack her open in seconds. Something that he could protect her from!

He doubted that she had a fear of anything generic. She just wasn't that kind of woman. She was a thief, after all. Darkness and enclosed places were her friends. It was where she was safe, actually. He refused the idea that she could be afraid of any type of animal. He had seen her happily kiss a snake of the top of it's head. She had walked past a pet shop the other day and gushed at the sight of a tarantula. He also didn't really see her as the kind of woman who would break from a jump scare either....

There wasn't any way he could get to her. He would probably never get her to reciprocate his feelings.

He barely understood them himself.

**********************************

Heroine by Sleeping With Sirens. SUGGESTIVE DRUG USE WARNING FOR SONG. Song and vid aren't mine!

Hey guys! Angel here! So, I know the song describes Sherlock and Beth more than Moriarty and Beth, but I wanted to post a song for them. And I couldn't think of anything.

I know, I know. I haven't gotten to update much lately. School has been INSANE. I have marching band. So most of by free time has been taken up by math homework, marching, playing my instrument, and darn near dying from exhaustion.  I hope you enjoyed this chapter!!!

Have a nice day!