Chapter 26: Run For Her

"Feel like making a deal with the devil?"
****************
It was four miles til the nearest hospital.
Beth had already lasted a week without any medical treatment besides her makeshift bandages, but she was near unconscious by the time Moran had gotten her out of the building and to the street. It was obvious that she was just barely hanging on. The blood loss and lack of anything nutritional was getting to her. She was an incredibly durable woman, with a fiery passion for hanging onto life until the last moment. But that didn't mean that she was invincible.
Sebastian's heart dropped when he saw the traffic. The street was backed up. Not even an ambulance could have gotten through.

In the army, he was a good runner. He always had been. His personal record was a 5 minute long mile, or a 7 minute long mile with a 50 pound rucksack.
Beth was about 90 pounds. He could do it.
And so, he began to run.

People have him looks. A few tried to stop him. One person called 999. Yet nothing could have stopped him.
One mile in, and he wasn't getting tired. He had been kicked out of the army a few years ago, yet he still went on jogs in the afternoons when it wasn't raining. He could do this.
Two miles til the hospital, and he was getting just a bit tired. But barely. Beth  kept him going. She looked nearly lifeless in his arms, the jostling opening up the wound on her leg and shoulder - not that they had ever closed completely anyway. Her eyes were slowly closing. She had made it for a week in that place with two injuries, and her iron will was being torn to pieces.
Finally, he bursted through the doors to the hospital, shouting, "Help! She needs help!"
A nurse frantically dashed to another room, soon coming back with a stretcher that Moran placed her onto. He tried to follow as the stretcher was wheeled into another room, yet someone stopped him. "Sir, she is going to go under surgery. You can't be in there with her."
He forced himself to take a breath, calming himself. The nurse - a round faced woman with brownish-blonde hair- helped him sit down, handing him a hospital grade shirt. He looked down at It, confused.
"You're covered in blood. You need to change."
She was right. Beth's blood was staining his shirt in patches.
When he got back from the bathroom, the nurse -he believed her name was Mia - was waiting for him.
"We're going to need some information on your friend. Can you answer a few questions?"
"Yeah. Sure."
Mia smiled, clicking her pen and placing it right above her paper, "What's her name?"
Moran almost said her real name, but then realized that it wasn't a good idea. Theyd most likely run a background check, and find out the whole 'wanted by several countries' deal. So, he quickly thought up one of her old aliases. "Jade Mare. Her name is Jade Mare."
Mia quickly scribbled the fake name onto her paper. "Any medical conditions we should be aware of? HIV or any other diseases?"
"No.".
"How about any previous injuries?"
He thought for a moment. "As long as I've known her? Not really anything. But I've only known her for a year or two."
Mia nodded again. "Alright. Well, she is in major surgery, yet it appears that the bullet wounds didn't hit any bones or arteries. Can you tell me how she got those wounds?"
He thought up a lie, "I... hunting accident. We were walking through some brush and someone must have mistaken her for prey."