Chapter 27: Our Little Pet

"You and me and the devil makes three."
*************
"Well, Mr. Moriarty, you wanted to meet me?"
They were on the rooftop of a building near the hospital. Staring at each other. Moriarty was smiling. But it wasn't kind. Not even close. It was a furious, dangerous smile. Murderous.
"Why'd you take her?"
"Mm, straight to the point. You're not one for small talk, are you?" The German man approached the criminal, "Luckily, neither am I. I'm Jack Rothery."
James' smile quickly formed a furious grimace, "I don't care. Answer my question."
He laughed, "You ordered my friend to be killed. You're close to little Bethy. It was payback."
"Don't call her that."
"Call her what? Bethy?"
"Don't call her by anything. You don't deserve it."
Jack was shaking his head, "Ah, Moriarty. Don't you see?"
"See what?" He was growing impatient.
"You've grown fond of your little pet. Well, our little pet. I ordered my men to kill her right about now. But maybe I should tell them they can have some fun with her first... I wouldn't be surprised if they already had."
"They cant."
"Why? Because you won't let It? Face it, James. She'll be dead by the time you find her."
"Who said I'm the one who found her?"
At this, Jack gave a confused look. "What?"
"Go ahead. Call your men. They've already been ambushed."
Jack didn't take his eyes off of James as he dug his phone out of his pocket. He rang, putting the phone to his ear.
"Oh thank God! Boss, something happened..."
"What?!"
"Alex was taking the girl out back, and we found him dead. Shot in the chest. The girl is missing, and someone had snuck her out and-" a faint gunshot came from the line, "And now someone's shooting at us! We can't see him, but there aren't many of us left! Oh my god, you have to help-" Another gunshot. There was a cry, and the sound of the phone dropping to the ground. A few seconds later, someone picked it up again. "If you ever touch her again, we'll kill you. Slow and painful." Moran's voice was dripping with venom.
The phone hung up. Jack's expression was one of shock.
Moriarty was smiling. There was a gun in his hand. He fired.
Jack Rothery cried out as the bullet shattered his kneecap. James shot again, shattering the other one.
"Don't ever come near me or her ever again."
He walked away, got in his car, and sped to the hospital.