Chapter 30: Stir Crazy

"The madness got to you too?"
*************
"Beth, YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS." Moran was at his wits end. For three days now, she had refused to take her pain killers. For three days, she had been biting back screams every time she moved. James had been close to actually forcing it down her throat at one point, after she had bumped into something with her shoulder and screamed bloody murder.
Her lip was raw and bleeding, as she had been biting it relentlessly with every passing movement.
"'Basher..." she whined, "they make me woozy..."
"So? That's normal." He pushed them towards her again, along with a glass of something that resembled coca cola.
"But I'm a thief!" She protested, tossing the pills back to him but taking the coke, "if Scotland Yard barge in here, and I'm drugged out of my mind, then how will I escape? Hmm?"
Moran groaned. "That's not going to happen. Just take the pills. Please."
"No. I have to stay fast. Quick. Agile. It's my job, for Pete's sake!"
Moriarty smiled as he walked in. That was his girl. So determined...
He sat next to her, and took the pills from Moran. "Even if the Yard barge in here, I'll carry you out. Now take them. Please. For me."
He gave a painfully sweet smile. He knew that his smile, plus the pleadingly spoken words would persuade her. She sighed, taking a pill from each of the two small medicine bottles.
Placing them in her mouth, she swallowed them down with her soda, not breaking eye contact with James.
"There. You happy now?"
James smiled. Genuinely, this time. "Very. Now, let's get you to bed before your medication kicks in."
"But I'm not tired!" Beth stubbornly whined, yet internally she knew she would be getting drouzy within the hour.
Yet James dragged her to the bed anyway, and stayed with her. He watched as the medication took effect, and she slowly fell asleep.
God, even now she looked so very beautiful. Her hair was a mess, and she certainly was not in clean clothing at the moment because of how awkward and painful it was to change. Yet she was still so amazing. So.... perfect, he supposed. He still couldn't understand his feelings for her. Not even one bit. Yet he felt them, and at the moment, that was all that really mattered.