Story-Time: Chapter One

"Scarlet and Kalam, please come here!" I shouted, desperately trying to get my kid's attention.

Both of my children turned their heads to me, before racing up to me, pushing me to the ground.

"What is it mommy?" Scarlet asked.

"I want to read you a story." I explained.

"Is it the one about how you met daddy?" Kalam asked.

"Why yes, it is." I said.

Both of my children whined.

I pouted.

"I guess I can't give you the cookies I made today then..." I whispered, just loud enough for them to hear.

Scarlet and Kalam instantly looked up, with eager eyes.

"Okay, I guess I can listen to a story..." Scarlet said.

Kalam didn't say anything, but his expression said he was fine with those terms.

I smiled, before standing up, and leading the kids to the couch.

"I'll be right back with the notebooks." I said, before leaving.

When I came back, I found (Brother) sitting on the couch with our kids.

"Hey, you're back early." I said, surprised, as I sat down next to (Brother).

"Anything to spend extra time with you, (y/n)." (Brother) said, before kissing me on the cheek.

"Just as sweet as when we were younger, I see." I said, before pulling out the first notebook.

"Finally telling our kids about our story, I see." (Brother) said.

"Yep. Want to join us?" I offered.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." (Brother said).

I smiled.

"Then let's begin." I said, as I opened to the first page.

Cameron

I still can't believe that she's gone. My mother... She's been dead for two months now. Though, it still feels like yesterday. Tears came to my eyes, while thinking about that dreaded day.

Cameron said nothing, but put his arm around me, as fresh tears came to my eyes.

"Please don't cry." Scarlet sadly said.

"We don't like it when you're sad." Kalam said.

I nodded, before continuing.

While deep in my thoughts, I heard a knock on my room door. This brought me back to reality.

"Hello? Who is it?" I asked.

"It's your dad."

I sighed, before going to the door, and, opening it. There, revealed my dad.

"What?" I asked, for, my dad normally doesn't get home this early.

"We're moving."

"What!? Why!?"

"I am engaged to someone."

"You're replacing mom?!"

"What? No! No one could replace Melissa. But, you still need a mothering figure. And, I think Emily will do just nicely."

I sighed, for I knew that my dad was just trying to help. But, still... It's going to be hard, to think of another woman as my mother. But, if my dad's going to do all of this, to help me, I guess I can try to help my dad.