To Your Best Friend

Dear Best Friend,

I would love to say that you are her best friend but I don't know if I can call you that right now. You walked in tonight and wouldn't even look at her. I hugged you more than once tonight. I told you I love you more than once tonight. But, you are hurting her right now. I don't think you even realize it though. Love does funny things.

She deserves to be happy and you need to admit your feelings just as much as she needs to admit hers. The two of you have caved to the pressure of what other people have said. You are telling people that she is just trying to make you jealous. Jealous of what?

I am disappointed. I love you but I am disappointed. I know that someone brought you because he knows that you need to talk it out. He knows you. He knows how you are when you are in this frame of mind. You treat your best friend awful and it hurts her  so much. She tries so hard not to let it show but it does in the little bits and pieces. I'm disappointed because I know that care deeply about her and that you are trying to protect her but you don't know how. I so wish that some of the social media was nowhere to be found.

If you took the time to talk to her right now, you could figure things out. I've always told you that when the time is right, it will be if it's meant to be. Maybe right now is her time. You've had girlfriends and she has never had anyone in her life but you. You've kissed girls, she's never kissed a guy. You've held girl's hands, she's only ever held yours once and the next day is when you hurt her the most I've ever seen her hurt. You see, she finally admitted to herself the feelings that she has for you. She thought that when you held her hand it was a turning point. Then, the next day happened. You made some choices and those choices caused her to have to make a decision.

Give her the chance to like someone. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. What's meant to be is what it is. The other option is to be honest with yourself and admit just how much you care about her. Your mom knows, I know, I think everyone around you knows. I don't know if the young man that she likes has any feelings for her. I don't know if he likes her but won't admit it because of you, I don't know if he truly has had the opportunity to get to know her. But, give them a chance to see. If they hurt each other, it is a told you so moment for you. If that happens, be there to pick up the pieces. The other option is to truly figure out how you feel. 

You two frustrate me like no other. I love you both so much and it hurts to watch the two of you where you are now. Look ahead 5 years, 10 years, 15 and more. Do you see her in the picture or no? If you do, then do something about it now. If you aren't ready, then let her make a mistake or two and then maybe, the time will be right. But, don't waste the opportunity. I know there is a big dance coming up. I know it is causing issues. I also know that there is another, bigger, more important dance coming up. I know she is looking forward to it and has been. It is one of the reasons she wanted to join the rodeo association now instead of in the spring. Last night though, she questioned if she should even go. She doesn't want drama, she wants to have fun and enjoy herself. She wants to be there with her friends, maybe with a date. If he asks, she will say yes. I don't think he will ask though because they are just friends. 

Please, figure out how to be best friends with your best friend. I know that a lot of things get thrown in the way but one thing is known, she is the girl who has been one of your biggest supporters and closest friends for a long time now. She enjoys hanging out with you, whether it is riding horses, playing football, or playing xbox. She likes the fun things like going to movies and out to eat and even just buying you slushes and bringing them to you. She has a heart of gold and she needs her best friend to be around. You need to support her dreams and goals too.

Love,

Her Mom