Music

Dear daughter,

Music speaks to me. I don't know about you but tonight was one of those nights where I needed to listen to a lot of songs. I listened to songs that were stupid, I listened to songs that reminded me of other people, and I listened to songs that remind me of you, actually they remind me of all of my girls.  One of those songs was "I Hope You Dance" by LeeAnn Womack. The lyrics of that song, "I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean, Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens, Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance, And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."

Life isn't always fair, it isn't always what we want. Our plans don't always work out, our best intentions sometimes aren't enough. The one thing in life I hope for all of my daughters, biological and bonuses, is that I hope you always give faith a fighting chance and I truly hope that you always dance. 

Always strive to be the bigger person. Choose to forgive. Choose to let things go. But, also choose to fight for those things worth fighting for, and learn to pursue those things worth pursuing. 

Listen to music. Listen to the old stuff, listen to the new stuff, go out of your comfort zone and listen to things you normally don't listen to. You never know when a song is going to speak to you. I know that you are always telling me that you don't like church because it is too many songs. I think something changes as you get older. At least for me it did. I love to go to church for the music. Music speaks to me. Sometimes you hear a song that you weren't expecting and it just touches you. 

I listen to songs and wonder about them sometimes. I listen to a song and I know it is a song perfect for someone or some situation that they are in. Tonight, your best girlfriend sent me three songs that a young man sent to her that reminded him of them. They were perfect songs about someone being in your life, and being the right person.
I wish that for you. I wish for you to have someone that cares enough to choose songs for you. I think a guy really thinks a lot about a girl when he chooses a song that has meaning. I'll never forget when your oldest sister's guy sent her the song A Thousand Faces. He also told her why he chose it for her. It was the perfect song. Although things didn't work with them, she was there with him exactly when he needed her to be, that song still brings up really good memories.
So, I wish songs for you. I wish songs that might be old, I wish songs that might be new, I wish songs that might be country or Christian or maybe old rock. I just wish a song for you.
Ultimately, the song I can't wait to hear is the song your dad will choose for you to dance to at your wedding. You know, I think he has a song picked already. I don't ask, I was shocked to find out he had a song for your oldest sister when he requested it and danced with her at your cousin's wedding. I can't wait to hear the one he has picked for your sister's wedding, when he gives away the first of his daughters.

I love you,
Mom