Chapter 2

After what felt like years, the school bell had rung. Quickly, I grabbed all my items and shoved them into my side bag. This class was filled with so much awkward tension. I felt Landon staring at me in the corner of my eyes, that crazy smirk of his never leaving his lips. I stood up and tried to leave the class as quickly as possible. I was not trying to see this so-called Landon guy ever again; even though I knew that was impossible.

"Hey!" a voice called out from behind me. I tried my best to ignore the voice behind me, assuming that it was Landon's.

"Aubrey!" I sighed in defeat. There's no turning back when someone calls your name and knows you heard it. I turned around slowly. To my surprise, the brown haired, black bomber jacket boy was out of sight. Instead, a fit boy with blonde hair approached me instead. He held his hand out and introduced himself, "I'm Colton."

I smiled and shook his hand as he continued, "This may be kind of weird, but I'm the class president. And my duty is kind of, uh, to make new kids feel welcomed. I was just wondering if you'd want a tour of the school or something? Uh, maybe during lunch?" he questionably finished his introduction while rubbing the back of his neck.

I couldn't help but laugh at how awkward his introduction was. I let go of his hand and replied, "Sure."

- - -

The rest of my classes before lunch came across fine. I didn't talk to anyone, but I didn't run into anyone rude either. Chills went down my spine as the thought of the incident from morning came across my mind.

As lunch time approached, I found my way towards the cafeteria. People were standing in line with trays, accepting their desired food in an assembly line. It looked like a prison. The lunch ladies looked mean; they looked like they hated their lives. They stood there lifelessly as they throw a bunch of half cooked food onto the silver trays.

Although I wasn't very hungry, I grabbed a tray anyways. I followed everyone else and followed the assembly line of serving food. In the end, I had lumpy mashed potatoes, under cooked chicken wings, and a side of fruits. I cringed as I looked at my tray of food. Coming from a really nice looking school, their food looked like trash.

I peered across the cafeteria. There was only one empty table, in the corner next to the trash bins. I shrugged. Considering that I had nothing to lose, I went and sat on the empty table. I laid my tray of horror down as I pulled out my sketchbook from my bag. I grabbed a pencil from the pockets and started sketching.

Art has been a big part of my life ever since I was a baby. Baby pictures of me always had me showing my artwork proudly to the camera. Art has always put me at ease.

"Is this seat taken?" a voice asked me.

I looked up towards the voice and it was the class president boy, Colton. I smiled at him and shook my head as he took a seat across from me. "What are you drawing there?" he asked me as he nibbled on the mash potatoes, quickly making a disgusted face afterwards.

I laughed at his reaction and glance back down at my sketchbook. "Well, right now it looks like a potato," I stated, "but it'll look like a beautiful girl in no time."

"I mean it doesn't totally look like a potato," He chuckled as he picked up the chicken wings from his tray.

"I wouldn't eat that if I were you!" I exclaimed quietly as I looked at the red meat sticking out of the chicken wings.

He took a second glance at the chicken wings and quickly dropped it back on his tray, "Jesus, why do they even bother?" he groaned.

I smiled at his reaction.