Chapter 35

Days after finding out about the debt, I've been avoiding almost everyone from school and keeping my head low in the art room. I brought my own food during lunch, so it was almost never necessary for me to leave this art room unless I had a class to attend to. Even though I was lonely, keeping a low profile kept a lot of drama outside of the circle and I had time to relax to myself.

I brought the sandwich towards me lips as I took a bite of the dry bread with peanut butter and jelly. I couldn't help but make a face at the disgusting lunch, before bringing my other hand up to paint on the canvas. I didn't know what I was painting, perhaps a sky?

The door opened quietly, and I didn't bother to look. A few people have bothered to come in and out of the art room, joining me for a small paint bonding moment, but no one I personally knew has came in here and checked up on me.

I spoke too soon.

"Aubrey," I heard Bella's voice from behind me.

Without a second thought, I turned towards Bella as I flashed her a small smile. However, I was quick to regret that action when I found out that Colton was right by her side.

As expected.

Turning my attention back towards the painted canvas, I pretended that I was paying a lot more attention towards my work. But ironically, I wasn't. My attention was leaned behind me, feeling Colton and Bella's eyes staring at the back of my head. I squeezed the paint brush in one of my hand as I painted.

"Aubrey," I heard Bella speak up again. Bella slid next to me and pulled the stood up towards me. She sits next to me, rubbing my shoulders with both of her palm before relaxing her chin on her arm.

"Why have you been avoiding us?" she asked me innocently. By now, I thought she would've already figured out about Colton and his little schemes; but she sounded as oblivious as ever. I shook my head in response.

"I haven't," I lied.

Bella released a scoff as she shakes her head at me, "Yes, you have! You don't think we'll notice?"

I tilted my head backwards as I mumbled underneath my breath in defeat, "Okay, I have been. But everything's fine, I promise."

I could feel Bella frowning next to me as we both forgot about Colton's attendance behind us.

"Bella, can I have a talk with Aubrey really quick?" he finally spoke up.

I shot Bella the eye and tried to shake my head as still as possible. However, she didn't get the message and stood up from the stool, respectively nodding back at him.

"I'll meet you in Elder's classroom," she concluded at Colton, smiling at both of us before exiting the classroom.

Great.

Colton slid back on the stool Bella was previously sitting on, his whole body facing towards me. His legs were spread with my stool between his grip. I looked at Austin and finally set my sandwich and the paintbrush before finally giving him an ear.

"What, Colton?" I asked bluntly, looking at him. I couldn't see him as the same person anymore, I see him more as a threat to my happiness.

"I'm sorry," he started out, looking at me with sorrowful eyes. I avoided his eye contact, scared of losing my pride in his eyes.

"It's fine," I mumbled in response, staring ahead of me.

"No, seriously," Colton whispers, slipping his hand under my chin as he pulls my face towards him, "I didn't mean to just ditch out on you like that," he chuckles in defeat.