Chapter 38

"Are you okay?" Isaiah asks me.

We were both sitting in the seats of the very top level of the yacht. It was an open rooftop, we were able to see the beautiful water unbalancing against each other and the pitch-black sky that was only lit by the moon.

It was about eleven at night already, and I was tired of everything that had went down today.

After Charles had mentioned about my mom, I couldn't help but suddenly back out of the act. It sounded like the plan didn't go out as smoothly as we expected it to, and I was already too drenched in nervousness to continue on with the game.

"Yeah," I responded, eyes peering out into the ocean. Isaiah sat in the seat next to me quietly. It was only the two of us on the rooftop. There were a few people here earlier, but they respectably offered us a little privacy; it was Isaiah's party after all.

Isaiah sat there quietly, he was smart enough to give me a little silence for me to recollect my thoughts. I could feel Isaiah's eyes never leaving my face though. Although it did sound pretty weird, I got use to Isaiah's little stares.

I took a deep breath from the cold air; soon to realize that it was something I regretted doing. Instead of relieving my exhaustion, the cold air lingered into my body causing me to jerk, automatically wrapping my arms around myself. My body started shaking as I suddenly felt the goosebumps arising on my skin.

I was so distracted about the situation, I didn't even notice it was possibly before forty degrees outside.

It didn't take long for me to feel some sort of warmth around my arms. I looked back at Isaiah and noticed his jacket was suddenly draped around my shoulder. He smiles back at me and casually pulls out his phone. His other arm was resting on the back of my chair, legs propped up to where his ankle was resting on his other knee. He relaxing position soon made me lean back against my chair as we both sat in silence.

The silence didn't last so long until we heard footsteps coming up from the stairs. I turned my body around and captured Landon's odd expression. I couldn't read Landon's expression clearly however I just assume it was from the amount of stress we had to put in about the situation of Charles.

"I guess the plan didn't go as well as I expected it to," Landon mumbles, words suddenly slipping out from his lips in a cold manner.

"Tell me about it," I responded, patting the seat next to me motioning Landon to sit. He came over and sat down silently, I can smell his cologne lingering my way. I watched him as he leaned against his seat, releasing a slightly loud sigh.

"I really thought it was going to work," Landon mutters, bringing his hands up to his face as he rubs his eyes.

"It sounded like it was going to work," Isaiah says as his eyes were pierced onto the cell phone.

The three of us sulked in defeat. Isaiah had his right arm draped behind my chair, eyes focused on his device as if it was the only way out of this black hole. Landon had his elbow resting on the headrest of the chair, slightly facing me as he has his other hand rubs both of his temples with his index and thumb finger. I was leaning forward, with my elbows resting on my knees; chin on my palms. The iconic trio, at their lowest point.

Suddenly I felt a hand touching my shoulder, grabbing it softly in support. I sat up and looked towards whom I thought the hand belonged too. Landon finally removes his hand from his face, looking at me with a slightly confused expression. I blinked multiple times before realizing that Landon might not have been the person touching me.

I turned my head towards Isaiah.

All that was filled in Isaiah's eyes was softness. His dark brown eyes showed me nothing but protection. His phone was put away; one hand resting in the pocket of his pants, the other hand resting softly on the shoulder closest to Landon.