Chapter 27

Landon swings the shopping bag on his side, walking next to me as we exit the mall. We were both holding ice cream cones; he had vanilla, I had strawberry.

I licked the ice cream and savored the taste like a child. A second ago I was heated, for a bunch of reasons that is; now I was enjoying the time of my life. I smiled at the ice cream as I took another big lick. A hum escaped my lips as Landon couldn't help but release a chuckle.

"Who was that guy?" I randomly asked him, remembering about the incident a few while back.

"Who?" he asks innocently, raising an eyebrow oblivious of who I was referring my question towards.

"The night of dinner," I trailed off, biting the cone.

Landon suddenly became quiet as he continues to enjoy his ice cream, obviously avoiding my question.

"Landon," I called, catching his attention.

He ignores me again and jogs towards the passenger side of his car, opening the door for me. I invited myself in and sat in the seat, waiting for him to enter on the other side. I kept my eyes locked on him.

"Landon Carthy," I ignorantly complained. He stopped licking his ice cream and froze in place. Landon sighs in defeat as he puckers his lips, staring ahead at another car parked in front of us.

"It's my brother's friend," he explained.

It confused me as to why his brother's friend would do such thing to me, and why he left me in the car alone in the first place. What did this guy have that Landon did not have?

I noticed Landon trying to avoid me asking anymore questions again. He inserts the key into the ignition before turning on the engine. Swiftly, I reached over and turned off the engine. He looks at me with disbelief.

"Why did you leave me alone that night?" I asked him, turning my body towards him.

I could tell that his expression suddenly turned into a rush of guilt. He opened his mouth, but no words came out. Instead, he brought the ice cream towards his lips and blankly stares at the car, licking his ice cream.

"Landon," I said his name again.

"I can't tell you!" he finally exploded. He pulled down the window and casually tosses his ice cream cone outside. I could tell Landon was annoyed, he held up his hands towards his face and angrily motions it back and forth, "I want to, but I can't!"

I looked at him, shocked.

"You asked me for a second chance," I mumbled underneath my breath, "I thought you were going to fully explain to me what happened that night. That's the only reason I gave it to you."

Landon turns his body towards me slightly, but stares off at my thighs, "You have to understand that I can't, Aubrey."

"He harassed me!" I screamed at him, trying to hold back the tears from the pain that I felt that night, "You harassed me," I said quietly.

Suddenly, Landon drops his head, staring at his hands that were placed on his lap.

"I know," he slightly whispers. He rubs his face with his palms as he releases a slight groan, "Fine, I'll tell you. Just please don't cry right now."

I blinked back the tears and noticed how dramatic I was being in the moment. My feelings quickly cleared up as I faced the front window of the car with my arms crossed.

He turns on the engine again and backs out of the parking lot, "Let's just go somewhere with less people," he mutters between his lips as he pretends to have more interest on the road.