Chapter 13

Another day, another class.

Going to school on a Monday is something no one ever wants to participate in. But society differs.

I still felt the soreness in my throat, and my voice still sounded like an old man's. On a good note, my symptoms has healed over the weekend. My father is a huge educate supporter. Education is key, you don't leave school unless you're literally dying. If you don't have the proper education, you won't get a proper life, and a stable foundation for your children.

My father has always been like a mother to Austin and I. He always tries his best to educate Austin and I about real life situations. Things such as finding the right person to be with, standing up for yourself, and keeping your group of friends small; my dad has always had these cultural legacies that stands in the center of his heart.

Even though my dad does open up to Austin and I's opinions, winning over his personal values is very difficult. My dad has set goals for us, planned for us in the future. Although he doesn't limit us on our decisions, he pressures and pushes us to strive for a better life. A better life for us, and a good life for our children.

Upon my dad's belief, he works extremely hard for Austin and I to gain happiness. He attempts to give us an appreciative life. Many time, Austin and I attempted to sneak applying and getting jobs. But my dad never wanted us to work as hard as him at a young age. He always talks us out of getting a job, and to focus on education. Even though our past was pretty rough, we were extremely proud of where our dad brought us to now. And I couldn't be any more appreciative of him.

Yawning as I approached my locker, I dialed in the combination before pulling on the handle. The door didn't even budge. I clenched my teeth as I stared at my locker, as if it could read my reaction.

If you don't open, I swear to god

I bit the inside of my lip and dialed the number again, still didn't open. I growled as I stomped the floor in frustration.

IT'S MONDAY. Don't do this to me.

"Woah there, sunshine." Hearing the word sunshine, I instantly recognized Colton by his voice. I turned towards him and pointed at my locker.

"I hate this thing," I mumbled underneath my breath, each word coming out slowly. I pointed my finger at the locker before hitting it with my palms irritatingly. I breathed deeply before whining and leaning against the locker, "Why? Why?"

Colton's eyes slightly widened; not in shock but in reaction to weirdness. A soft chuckle escaped those lips as he took a step towards me.

With my back against the lockers, I stared up at him. He looked at me with his dreamy eyes, with a soft smile plastered among his lips. Colton leaned down to my height and adjusted his mouth near my eyes.

Soft words escaped his lips. My heart beat raced against my chest as my breathing stopped for a quick second.

"Move," he whispers.

I blinked multiple times in confusion before it occurred to me that he wanted to see my locker. Blushing in embarrassment, I took a step to the side before turning around and facing the stupid metal box. Standing next to Colton as he attempts to pull out my locker, I kept replaying the embarrassing moment in my head.

I mentally hit myself in the head so many times before noticing that my locker door was open. I rose an eyebrow as I fixed my attention back to my locker. Pulling out my notebooks, I slammed the door shut.

"You're cute," Colton says as he puts both hands against my cheeks, pushing them against each other.

I squealed feeling my cheeks and lips tightly and uncomfortably squeezed together. The image of me being squished must've looked disgusting, ugly.

"Okay, go to class," Colton demanded as soon as he released my face from suffocation.

Still feel the tingles in my cheeks, I swiftly spun around on my heels and walked away. As I took the few first steps, I was almost hesitated to leave him. Within a second, footsteps were following me in a rush. Before I could realize what was happening, arms crept over my shoulders, folding around my neck in a warm embrace.

I blinked and looked down at arms that belonged to Colton.

"I didn't get a proper goodbye," he mumbles underneath his breath next to my ear. I could smell the sweet minty flavor from his gum.

My face flushed and my body warmed up. I like him, I really do. When you really like someone, it's hard to figure out if you'd want to ruin the friendship or take it to the next step.

But he hesitated to kiss me a few days ago.

"And," Colton says after a minute of silence, "I like you."

My smile suddenly disappeared as my hands dropped to my sides. My mind was suddenly surrounded by a foggy mist, I didn't know how to answer him. My breathing started to feel heavy, and my legs started to feel numb. I pressed my lips together and in a panic, I broke his grip.

Something in the back of my mind told me to run. To walk away, and to never look back.

Why am I feeling like this?

My throat started to tighten as I rushed myself to my Pre-Calculus class. I didn't bother to pay attention to who was in the class. I immediately got to my seat the moment I opened the door. Lifelessly staring at the bored, Mr. Winston started on his lesson but questions clogged up my mind.

Is it possible to like someone, but when they confess you feel like something is holding you back from accepting his confession? I like Colton, but will taking it to the next step be the right thing to do? I'm scared, please someone just give me a hint.

A note somehow slowly crept onto my desk. It was an index card, with messy writing filled from top to bottom of the paper.

I know you hate me after all I've done to you, but I want you to know 

I'm sorry. Fixing your painting is just the first on my list as an 

apology. I'm sorry I ruined your first day of school. I'm sorry I ruined 

your painting. Lastly, I'm sorry if I ever made you feel insecure 

and useless in any type of way. Every single time I've done 

you wrong, I couldn't help but to think what a beautiful life 

I might've almost ruined. I know saying sorry wouldn't

 grant you all of my trust, but can you give me a chance 

to dinner?

Landon.

My eyes adjusted to the notecard, attempting to figure out each word that was written. Quickly afterwards, I looked at Landon. His eyes didn't show any sign of anger, instead it showed sadness, regret, and a little sense of lost. I softened at the look of the hurtful boy, however I couldn't find the courage to accept his offer.

His hand slowly crept towards me as he softly lays his hands on mine.

"Please," he begged.

- - - 

gasps

lol

x apricitys