Chapter 23

10:01 PM

UNKNOWN NUMBER

We need to talk.

10:01 PM

Aubrey

Who's this?

10:03 PM

UNKNOWN NUMBER

Landon

10:04 PM

Aubrey

We don't need to talk.

10:06 PM

Landon

Please

10:12 PM

Aubrey

I've given you too many chances.

I'm done, Landon.

10:15 PM

Landon

Aubrey, you don't understand..

After I received the text message, I didn't hesitate to block the number from giving me anymore texts. I sighed, laying back against the soft comforter as I slowly drifted off to sleep.

- - -

I held my books between my arms as I made my way towards Colton's locker. I didn't cancel out on him yesterday, I was so caught up in my thoughts that I forgot the real reason why I got so dressed up last night. I pressed my lips together, seeing Colton's back facing me from afar.

"Colton," I called out. He turns around right away; his eyes weren't as bright as before, his lips didn't curve into the usual happy grin he always held.

"Hey," he greeted, turning his back towards me again pretending to do something inside his locker.

"I'm sorry about last night," I started, creeping my body to face him, "Austin grounded me, and I was so caught up with—"

"Landon, I know," Colton scoffs, shoving the books into his locker.

A dark cloud hovered above my head; I felt bad for him, I really did. I looked down at the floor and stared at it in silence before Colton shuts his locker door.

"Did you wait for me?" I finally asked, quietly.

Colton releases a small sigh, leaning against the locker with his hands in his pockets, "Of course, I did."

"I'm sorry," I leaned my head back, staring at the ceiling in pure annoyance of myself.

"It's whatever," he responded blankly.

We stood there for about a minute. Even though the hallway was filled with loud kids, nothing filled our air more than awkward quietness. I swallowed nervously and rubbed one of my palm against my thigh.

I took a deep breath, feeling my heart beat against my chest slowly. Colton then lifted his head and looked at me with his tired blue eyes, blinking twice before straightening up his posture.

"I feel like something's going on between you and Landon though," he casually mentions. From the corner of my eyes, I can see Colton's fist starting to clench as he tries to maintain his feelings.