Chapter 42

After hours of waiting, Landon finally texted me back.

7:54 PM

Landon

At Scoop.

Second thoughts never occurred into my head as I ran down stairs and throwing on a random hoodie of Austin that was casually hanging on the railing. I couldn't manage to wipe off the huge grin that was plastered on my lips as I hopped into the car that I've abandoned.

Having an older brother definitely had its perks, but since he's away now there's no other way but to just myself.

While driving to Scoop, I couldn't help but think about how much happiness my family and I would be feeling after paying back the debt. We were a happy family, and I'm doing everything I possibly can to bring that back again.

I bit my bottom lip, trying to stop myself from smiling like a huge idiot while driving down the sun setting road.

My heart started beating a little faster as I felt my car getting closer to Scoop. All of our hard work and failures is granted by a magical person, no other than Mrs. Winthrop. After being stuck in the darkness, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. No matter how cheesy that line may sound, it was true.

When I reached to my destination, I swiftly parked in one of the spaces before stepping out. Slapping the door to my car and locking it, I dashed into the ice cream parlor filled with a bunch of students from two different high schools hanging out on a Friday night.

My eyes scanned the packed space before landing on an the only empty booth, with the blue eyed brunette staring at the two milkshakes in front of him. A small smile crept among my lips, my heart fluttering and warming up from the look of him.

The closer I walked towards him, the more I curiosity I started to feel.

Landon didn't seem to act as confident as he always was. His was leaning back against the red seat, eyes barely blinking and showing any liveliness in his actions. He seemed to be so deep in thought.

I approached behind him quietly, standing behind him as I was hesitating to greet him. There was something about it that didn't make me want to approach him.

I took a quiet deep breath before speaking up, "Hey."

A second after I spoke up, Landon immediately turns his head around, looking up at me as he passes a small smile, "Hey," he responded.

I stood there awkwardly before making my way towards the opposite side of the booth, sitting myself down across from him. He watched me as I watched him. His light blue eyes were suddenly darker, his eyes were a little bit red, while his body posture showed signs of exhaustion.

I was about to speak up and tell him about the good news, but he stopped me. He held his right hand up, shaking his head as me working weakly speaking, "I'm sorry, Aubrey."

"What?" I asked, confused.

"I have to go," he stared down at the table, fiddling with the pocket of his leather jacket before standing up.

I furrowed my eyebrows together in pure confusion, watching him get up as he turns his back towards me, "Landon," I called his name.

He started walking away from me, and for some reason I started to feel irritated from his change in mood. Why is he acting like this?

I got up and followed him out of the door, calling his names multiple times without him even bothering to pay any attention to me.

My back started to heat up as I felt myself soon losing patience with his bipolar mood swings, "Landon, seriously!" I exclaimed almost at the top of my lungs.