Chapter 7

"So, who was that this time?" Austin asked. He held the green apple by the stem and spun it around in his palm. His bright red hair swept to one side, big brown eyes staring at me.

"I don't really know him," I answered carelessly. I opened the dishwasher and pulled the top drawer out. Grabbing the dishes and carefully stacking them on top of each other before setting them in the cabinet.

"You don't know him? It looked like you knew him," Austin commented.

"Well, I guess," I shrugged, "I guess he's just a friend also."

"How come I don't see you having any girl friends?"

I had a feeling that Austin's brotherly protective side was seeking through.

"I do, her name is Bella. I've only made like two friends during school."

"Those two guys?"

"No," I paused, "Well, one of them and Bella."

Austin nodded slowly, watching me as I moved towards the dining table. I sat on the same two cardboard boxes of furniture I've stacked a few weeks ago and looked at Austin.

"Well..." Austin trailed off, attempting to figure out his positioning as a brother.

I laughed a little and looked up at Austin, "I'm fine, Austin."

"Okay then," Austin tossed the green apple in the air and swiftly catches it, "I was just making sure."

I nodded reassuringly and stretched my arms out, releasing a loud groan.

"Gross."

- - -

Colton released a deep sigh, slamming the door of his locker closed and looked at me. I rose my eyebrow in amusement.

"What's happening with you?" I asked him.

Colton was dressed in Adidas sweatpants and a high-neck athletic jacket. His dirty blonde hair was not combed to the side this time, instead it was as if he just came out of bed. His light blue eyes appeared a lot darker than it was before, along with the dark eyebags beneath his eyes.

"I stayed up all night," Colton lazily responded, rubbing his palms against both of his eyes, "was helping my dad out with stuff."

I nodded understandingly and rubbed my hand on his back, up and down attempting to make him feel more relaxed and less tired somehow.

Colton flashed me a small smile before he leaned his head against the lockers, looking down at me before slowly closing his eyes.

His look of tiredness somehow looked attractive to me. I felt my cheek heating up, as well as my back. A person cannot possibly look cuter on days that he doesn't try compared to days that he does; but Colton made it possible.

I bit the insides of my cheek and didn't notice how long I was staring at his face for.

"Stop checking me out," Colton casually stated as he opened his eyes.

As a reaction, I stood up straight and peered behind his shoulder, casually shaking my head. I crossed my arms and legs and rose an eyebrow at him, "Why would I check you out?" I asked.

Colton gave me a stink eye before he straightened up and stretches. "Why not?"

In the distance, a loud noise echoed through the hallway. The noise had only occurred once, but the sound was loud enough for everyone to stop their tracks. Almost everyone's attention was quickly drawn towards where the sound was possibly coming from.

A few seconds later, students that were hovered around the entrance of the hallway quickly cleared the doorway. From the crowd, a student was being dragged towards the center of the hallway by another student. A girl, with dirty blonde hair and dark brown eyes was dressed in a long summer dress, covered by a khaki thick knit sweater. Her hair was in a single French braid that ended towards the middle of her back and above her nose laid a pair of thin framed black reading glasses. In her left arm, she was hugging a few sets of notebooks in effort of not dropping any of them on the floor. Her other arm was clutched by another male student as he had viciously tugged her down the hallway. The girl soon started to lose control over her notebooks as the boy yanks her harder and harder. Notebooks started to scatter all over the floor. The boy shoved her against the locker as her lifeless body flopped against it.