Chapter 12

How can you stand up for me, but you can't stand up for yourself?

I pushed my hair back and carelessly pinned it half up half down as I wandered into the hallway. Taking a tissue, I rubbed it against my nose before tossing it into the nearby trashcan. I attempted to sniffle, but my nose felt clogged and irritated. I growled underneath my breath as all I could do was breathe through my mouth.

I had a piercing headache, throbbing only on one side of my head, while the opposite ear felt swollen. I couldn't hear through one side, couldn't think through the other.

From afar, I could see Bella in her blue floral print blouse and dark washed jeans. She had her orange-brown hair curled and nicely laid down. She waved to me from afar before rushing towards me.

"You look," Bella trailed out while she fixes the collar of my blouse, "terrible."

I nodded while frowning. Bella always had the nurturing side of hers ready. She sent me a sad smile as she comforted me by rubbing my back.

"Class is starting really soon, you should head on," she tells me in the most sorrowful tone. I couldn't help but laugh and how much we both hated school. Although we still maintain good grades and perfect attendance, our motivation for school is no where near and average student's.

I gave Bella a quick side hug before turning around as we separated ways. After taking a few strides, I stopped in front of my Pre-Calculus class. In the back of my head I was begging for Landon not to come to class today. However, in fear of jinxing it, I tried to distract myself from that statement as much as possible.

Taking a deep breath, I opened the door and the classroom was nearly filled. Everyone was sitting in their assigned seats. I peered towards the end of the classroom and the seat next to mine was empty. I quietly cheered before welcoming myself towards my assigned seat.

Sniffling, I pulled out my notebook and grabbed a classroom textbook from underneath the desk. I laid all of my supplies on the table and rested my chin on my palm. I cleared my throat as the irritating scratchy feeling heated up my neck.

I closed my eyes until I heard Mr. Winston speak up.

After about fifteen minutes into the lecture, the classroom door had opened. At that moment it never occurred to me that Landon was ever going to show up for the rest of class. So without a care, I had my eyes set on my notes, studying the examples that Mr. Winston has provided for me.

"Landon," the teacher says.

Hearing his name made me freeze. I blinked twice before I looked up at the door. Landon in his black bomber jacket, approaches towards his assigned seat. I bit my tongue and eyed him as he walks in my direction.

For some reason, I didn't feel to angry as I did before. I was too tired from this cold to even make a deal about his presence.

His eyes never made contact with mine.

Although he knew I was here, he didn't bother to acknowledge my existence. I shook it off as I turned my head back towards the board, jotting notes down onto my notebook.

Having the need to cough, I brought my elbow up to my lips and made the nastiest sound. Some students ignored my horrible sickness, some looked over and cringed at the sight. But without a care, I did it again. I clenched my teeth together as I felt my throat heating up.

Suddenly I felt a tap against my arm. Something cold has pressed against me. I looked over to my side and it was a water bottle, handed to me by Landon.

I looked up at him and took the water bottle, only to set it back on his desk.

"You need it," he whispers to me as he leans towards me with his elbows resting on his knees.

I ignored him and pretended to pay attention to the lecture.

I heard him click his tongue, and in a gist, the water bottle started to roll itself towards the end of my desk. Annoyed, I picked up the bottle and put it back on his desk.

"Aubrey," he says softly.

I bit my upper lip as I finally grab the bottle off of his table. Instead of opening it, I stood up and threw it at him.

"Stop!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, my voice cracking. All eyes quickly averted towards us.

Ignoring everyone's attendance, I continued, "Just stop it! You're not nice Landon, stop pretending that you are. You think coming back and acting nice is easily going to grant someone's trust?"

Landon stood up. My gaze quickly shifted up as his eyes hovered over me.

Mr. Winston sighs loudly as he points his finger as both of us, "Outside."

Without a doubt, I grabbed my bag and stomped outside. The moment I stepped outside, I uncontrollably coughed for a minute straight.

Landon came out a second later, quietly. He softly closed the door as he leaned against the wall on the other side of the door. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms as I did the same. The few minutes were quiet, aside from my coughs and sniffles.

Soon I regretted not accepting the water bottle from Landon. I didn't bring any water of my own, and my throat was starting to throb. I felt so swollen that I could feel the pulse hit against the skin on my neck.

"The painting," Landon mumbled.

I looked at him.

"I fixed it," he explains. The painting that magically appeared in my locker, renovated was from him. I questioned the possibility, however I still had my eyes on him, finally opening up to his apology.

"Did you get it?" he asks. I hesitated to answer for a minute, before nodding slowly.

He didn't say anything after that. Instead I saw a genuine smile swept across his lips as he broke eye contact, looking at the floor.

After that, we didn't bother to look at each other. Although the incident was intense, there was no awkward tension in the air. I looked down the hallway and saw Colton's figure walking towards me. I quickly smiled and pushed myself off the wall.

"Colton!" my rough, scratchy voice called out.

A smile was quickly brought to his face as he held his arms out, walking towards me. I skipped towards him as he wrapped his arm around me, picking me up off the floor. He set me down carefully right after and handed me a Gatorade.

"Bella told me you were sick," he said.

"Yeah, it sucks," I mumbled underneath my breath. Without hesitation, I opened up the bottle and started chugging. With just half of the drink empty, I closed and tossed it into my bag.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked him, remembering that me and Landon got kicked out during a class period.

Colton chuckled and held out with Student Body President badge, "Perks."

Pointing a finger at him, I made a funny 'ah' sound before he did the same.

"Oh!" Colton's face lit up as he reaches intohis pocket, "Look at this." He pulls out his phone and positions his body nextto mine. Wrapping an arm around my shoulder, I can smell his cologne as heshows me a video on his phone.    

- - - 

this chapter is also a little short heh

x apricitys