Chapter 31

It was already about fifteen minutes since we were silently hiding in the closet, and my legs were about to give out. Even though I was leaning against the wall, I was trying to hold myself up straight in order to give Landon the space his bigger body needed to not expose our hiding spot.

The back of my neck was tired from keeping up my head for so long that I casually leaned my head forward, resting it on Landon's shoulder. I felt the warmth of his hand resting on the wall next to my waist, as we were waiting for Charles to finally leave his room.

At this point, I was already tired how everything was set up. I should've kept my mouth shut about the loans, dragging Landon into this situation only brought us into worse situations and I should've seen that since the beginning. I was standing there, slightly getting angry with my thoughts as Landon releases a sigh that only us two could hear. I wasn't enjoying how our body was pressed against each other in this tight space. The last thing I ever wanted was to be stuck in the same room with Landon, to my stupid luck that's where I am.

"Jeffery, I can not find the file," the voice, I suppose from Charles begins to speak up. Considering that the door did not open after Charles, he was probably talking on the phone with someone.

The moment we heard Charles's voice, we both jerked up. Landon quickly puts a hand over my lips, afraid of me making a sound. I hissed and pulled his hand off of my mouth before exchanging a glare towards him.

"I told you I do not have it," he spoke up again, this time there was a hint of anger in his voice, "Are you sure you put it on my desk? You had fucking job. Seriously, who the hell hired you?"

I peeked in Landon's jacket seeing the manila folder pressed between his chest and the coat. I bite the top of my lip nervously as I started to feel my body heating up from Charles's realization of the missing file. Landon however, shoots me a reassuring look initialing me to keep calm and not to freak out and rests his hand on my shoulder. I shrugged off his hand as he respectfully puts his hand back down.

"I need the file, Jeff!" Charles screams one last time before I heard a loud bang from outside the closet. After a short minute, the door opened and closed again as Landon and I sighed from relief. Landon presses his lips together as he breathes almost heavily, leaning his body against me even more, squishing me against the wall.

I clicked my tongue and pushed him off of my body. The door opened with his stumbling body almost falling backwards onto the velvet carpet.

"Shit, Aubrey," he dared to mutter as he caught his balance. He stood up straight and straightened his body before fixing the file and letters in his coat. I nearly laughed at his clumsiness the moment I pushed him, however kept my cool because I was still mad at him.

"Let's go," I blankly stated as I crossed my arms and stubbornly made my way towards the door.

Landon jogs up after me and pulls me back with the back of my t-shirt. I almost released a scream before I shut myself up as I shoved my hand against my lips. Landon makes his way in front of me as he leans his ear on the door. When he noticed that the signs were clear, he opens the door and motions me to follow him outside.

As we stepped outside, Landon closed the door quietly as we both straightened up. From this point on, if we did get caught it would've looked like we came from Landon's office. As the office across from Charles's has Landon's full name in bold on a gold plaque.

A nineteen year-old with his own office. He doesn't even do anything.

I rolled my eyes at the office located on our right, as Landon was surprised by my selfish attitude.

"What is up with you?" Landon smirks, obviously amused by all the mood swings I've given him throughout our moments together. I huffed as I kept my arms crossed, ignoring him as I walked down the hallway and towards the elevator. In the corner of my eye, I could see Landon shaking his head as he walks by my side. Honestly, it's kind of fun acting like a brat in front of someone who tries to act like a bad ass everyday in school. It shows him that he isn't only the one with the attitude that everyone has to abide by.