Chapter 40

After the party, Isaiah met up with us one last time before coming to the conclusion that Landon should drive me home. It was already half passed midnight, but so much has happened over these past few hours that it felt like we've spent a year on this cruise.

Austin called me a while ago, asking me where I've been and if I was safe. All I managed to tell him was that Landon, Isaiah and I were working out a plan to get help for our debt. He almost immediately gave in and decided to cover for me when our father gets home.

There I was, strolling down the empty parking lot with Landon. The rest of his family decided to stay back in the ship – even when it was already parked, to talk about other business plans for their growing companies. It was quiet between Landon and I, but there was no sense of awkwardness or uncomfortableness. There was just some peace and quiet.

"You can have the dress," Landon says, with his hands in his pockets; probably fiddling around with the pack of cigarettes.

"Isn't this expensive?" I asked him, patting my thighs as I feel the glitter sequences hitting against my palms.

He shook his head, "Maybe to some people," he mutters.

"I can't accept this," I guiltily responded. It was kind of Landon to offer me a beautiful dress, but this was probably the only night I'll ever be needing a beautiful evening gown like this.

"I won't take it back," Landon chuckles, his shoulder slightly bumping into mine as we were walking.

"Why not?"

"I don't need a dress," he raises an eyebrow, nudging me softly with his elbow.

I smiled at his smart answer, however didn't want to give up, "But you paid for it."

"I know," he nods, "But I bought it for you."

"But—"

"Aubrey, just keep it," he sighs, sending me a slight smile, "If you don't want it, then sell it."

I pressed my lips together in a thin line and finally took defeat in our little debate. There was no way I was able to win over Landon Carthy. I looked over at him. Landon was facing forward, hands still in his pocket as his gaze was off into the night sky where his car was probably parked.

There was something about Landon's appearance that bothered me. Although the suit fits his toned, yet skinny body structure very well, there was something a little off about it. I furrowed my eyebrows as my eyes suddenly landed on his bow tie.

It was untied.

Half of me wanted to just let it be, maybe he untied it for a reason.

But majority of the tie was hanging off of his neck, about to slip off any second. I spoke at the correct time. The little fabric slipped off of the back of his neck, sliding down his chest as I held my hand out, gracefully catching the tie before it was able to hit the ground.

That was when we both stopped out tracks.

Both of our attention was on the little black fabric I had in my hand. But our eyes started to exchange glances that may have felt like a longing friendship that's begging to continue. I swallowed nervously as I straightened up, holding the tie in my hand.

Our eyes were still locked. His blue eyes were now dark, his black hair feathered across his forehead as it slightly covers the first half of his eyes. Under his hair, I could feel his eyebrows inching together as all that his eyes managed to show were misery and sorrow.

My body started to sulk, I wanted to hug him and tell him that everything was okay. However, I could sense the horrible feeling of him knowing that his uncle has done such things to me. But no one can be a hero more than once.

I finally lifted my hand and wrapped the black fabric around his neck, laying the bow tie resting along his shirt as I patted them down against the wind. I didn't want to tie the bow tie, in fear that it might be uncomfortably to him.

And that's when I felt his hands pressed against mine.

With his hands on top of mine, and mine on top of his chest, I could feel the warm air flowing around us. The cold wind didn't seem to bother us as our loose strands of hair danced against the wind.

His hands then wraps around mine, lifting them off of his chest as he brings both of my hands towards his lips. Déjà vu flashed back in my mind where a few months ago, Landon had blown warm air against my hands to keep them warm. That's what he did again.

My heart beat started to steady. The butterflies in my stomach didn't exist, except the feeling in my stomach was a lot more warm, comfortable and easing.

As if everything happened in fast motion, Landon pulls my hands away, dropping them, cupping my face in one of his hand while the other fiddles with my fingers softly.

His rough skinned fingers, trailing along mine. I felt his fingers sliding between mine as we both willingly intertwined them.

Our faces were now a few inches apart. The wind was blowing his hair away from his face revealing the sharp features he had on his face. The small light from the lamp post shined on his light blue eyes, staring down at me with mixed emotions.

He leaned towards me, slowly as I stood still. We both closed our eyes, waiting for the special moment to come.

But it didn't.

All we felt was our lips brushing against each other's, breathes lingering on each other's faces. Even though our eyes were still closed, we sensed the hesitation between us. I swallowed nervously, my breath started to shake and came out unstably.

Our foreheads pressed together, as we opened our eyes at the same time. I gazed down at the floor below us as he did the same. There was no way we could continue this journey after all that has happened.

I pulled away from him, hands against his chest as I pushed him away softly. His face suddenly hardened, as he grabs onto my wrist, pulling me towards him as I was cut short on my breath. Our face again, was only an inch away. But this time his eyes showed me pain.

Taking this moment, I finally gave in and pushed out my second thoughts. I tilted my head upwards, until our lips had finally met. There was something about this kiss that put me at ease. Even though Landon and I has shared a kiss before, this one was tied in with so many emotions that made this feel as if it was both of our first time.

Moving my lips along with his for a quick second, we both pulled away and looked at each other. All the dirt I felt that was lingering on my body suddenly felt clean, I felt like everything that has caused me to look down on myself disappeared.

I suddenly felt confidence.

I lifted my hand and held the back of his neck, pulling him in for another short kiss that he willingly gave back. His hand slid up to my waist, resting on them lightly as my arms unconsciously wrapped around his neck. My eyes were closed, but for some reason I was able to picture us in the paradise. I pulled away a second time.

I opened my eyes first as his fluttered open second. We exchanged looks of passion and deep feelings. I might've felt a way towards Landon that I promised myself not to ever feel. But I couldn't help but to appreciate all the effort he's put into our friendship even after the first few months of hardship that he's given me.

Landon sends me a soft smile, brushing my hair through his fingers softly.

"The bad boy has lost his ego," he jokes. Even though it was almost pitch dark outside, I saw his cheeks gush into a slightly pink color before he breaks lose from our holds. He turns back towards the front and continues to walk along my side towards the car. 

- - - 

short chapter today

sorry boyz

x apricitys